Stufato di pollo
Chicken stew with vegetables Mexican recipe
This version of chicken stew with vegetables is a particular recipe in which chicken and vegetables are combined with sweet flavors: prunes and cinnamon. It’s a tasty dish, really. I propose you a simple version that I prepared for a get-together of mine. It was successful!
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 1 1000g (2.2 pounds) whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 4 medium size young fresh onions
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 medium size courgettes
- 3 medium size carrots
- 4 medium size potatoes
- 8 prunes, stoned
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 thyme sprig
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 300ml (10 fluid ounces - 1 1/3 cups) dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
preparation: 30 minutes
plus marinating time
cooking: about 90 minutes
total time: 2 hours
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 576 (kcal) 29 % GDA (*)- 2411 (kJ)
Protein: 41.7 (g) 84 % GDA
Total fat: 29.3 (g) 42 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 39.0 (g) 15 % GDA
Sugars: 20.7 (g) 23 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (29 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Mexican chicken stew recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Marinating chicken.
Peel onions and garlic.
Whisk them together with 2 teaspoons olive oil and cinnamon.
Spoon this mixture on chicken pieces and let them marinate at room temperature, about 2 hours.
- - Meanwhile ...
... steam courgettes, carrots and potatoes but remember not to overcook all your vegetables. They must be crunchy.
- - The last step.
Put all chicken pieces in a pan with remaining oliveoil and let them fry slightly on all sides.
Then pour in 500ml (16 fl oz - 2C) boiling water.
Season to taste with salt, add thyme sprig and bay leaf too, lower heat and continue cooking, half-covered, about 35-40 minutes.
At this point, pour in wine and let it half-evaporate.
- - Meanwhile ...
... cut all steamed vegetables in pieces and add them together with prunes to your stewed chicken.
Season to taste with salt again but only if necessary.
Let all cooking juice thicken.
Just before serving
- - Your chicken stew, mexican style is ready.
Serve it warm or hot.
- - Do not prepare this dish in advance.
- - Use chicken stock instead of water, if desidered.
- - Use dried thyme if you do not find it fresh.
- - You can thicken cooking juice with 1 tablespoon potato starch, if you want.
- - It’s not easy to combine this stewed chicken with other courses for a full menu.
I suggest to prepare it for a meal, buffet style. In this case complete cooking an hour before serving.
- - If you have read carefully calories and fat, you already know the high protein intake resulting from the generous portion of meat and how much fat is in it. Fat is due to the presence of chicken skin, mostly. If you remove all skin from your chicken before cooking, this is what happens:
energy: 417 kcal (1747 kJ)
total fat: 14.5g
Carbohydrates have no change. Quite a difference, right? I always suggest to remove skin from chicken, especially if it is a broiler chicken. And even more when you have guests ;))
- - Fiber per serving: 7.1g
What's the right wine for " Chicken stew with vegetables " ?
Pair bubbles to this stewed chicken. For example a good Prosecco.
Rating: 0 / vote cast: 0