Appetizer, Catalonia-style Traditional recipe from Spain
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 200 g (7 oz) minced beef
- 2 young fresh onions, chopped
- 10 green olives filled with chilli, halved
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 300 ml (10 fl oz - 1 1/4 C) puréed tomatoes
- 2 egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 package frozen puff pastry
- Sesame seeds
- Pepper, if you like
preparation: 20 minutes
cooking: 40 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: XX (kcal) - XX (kJ)
Protein: XX (g)
Total fat: XX (g)
Total carbohydrate: XX (g)
Sugars: XX (g)
Download free PDF version (128 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Let the puff pastry thaw according to the directions on the package.
Put 4 tablespoons olive oil in a non-stick frying pan and then add the onions, marjoram, puréed tomatoes, minced beef and olives; season to taste with salt and pepper (if you like pepper)
and stir. Begin cooking on a low heat, stirring now and then, half-covered. Add hot water only
if necessary but remember: cooking time must be brief!
Meanwhile roll out the puff pastry on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of 0,3 cm (1/8in), using a long pasta rolling pin; then cut it into round shapes with the help of a big glass.
When the beef mixture is cold, spoon it in the centre of every disc and close the disc (look at the photo for more details).
Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F) and oil a baking tin with the remaining olive oil. Arrange the discs on the tin but remember to place them at intervals because they increase their volume during the cooking. Beat the 2 egg yolks after diluting them with some tablespoons milk. Then sprinkle the surface with sesame seeds and bake for about 15 minutes or until the surface is golden.
- - It's a tasty appetizer.
- - You can also use fresh puff pastry but in this case you need 2 packages.
- - You can serve them cold or lukewarm and so you can make them ahead.
- - If you combine this dish with other recipes, it is enough for 8 people.
You can find some ideas for combining this dish with other ones and setting up the table in the Members-only Area: so you’ll be able to plan a Spanish dinner party!
Rating: 3 / vote cast: 3