Insalata di pollo alla senape
Mustard-flavored chicken salad Our original home cooking
This chicken salad is a great solution for people who have to prepare a meal, buffet-style in any season or a cold dinner in summer. It can also be prepared as a starter in a full menu all year round. You will find my own version of chicken salad enriched with mustard on this page. Excellent! the common comment of our guests!
Ingredients / Serves 6
- 1 1kg (2.2 pounds) raw chicken with its skin
- 450g (1pound) frozen carrots, sliced
- 500g (1.1 pound) potatoes
- Little bunch fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 60g (2.1 ounces) sweet and sour little onions
- 2 1/2 tablespoons mustard
- 4 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- For broth
- 1 stick of celery
- 1 carrot, peeled
- 1 little onion, peeled
preparation: 40 minutes
plus cooling time
cooking: about 1 hour
total time: 1h 40 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 408 (kcal) 21 % GDA (*)- 1707 (kJ)
Protein: 27.2 (g) 55 % GDA
Total fat: 25.1 (g) 36 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 19.4 (g) 8 % GDA
Sugars: 7.2 (g) 8 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (128 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Recipe for boiled chicken salad
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare chicken.
Boil chicken with onion, carrot and celery in slightly salted boiling water (the resultant broth will be useful in the preparation of other dishes).
Let it simmer, half-covered, over a gentle flame for about 1 hour.
Let your chicken cool.
Then peel, bone and cut it into strips.
- - Prepare vegetables.
Meanwhile boil frozen carrots following the instruction on the package.
Let all vegetables cool and then peel and cube potatoes.
Cut sweet and sour onions into quarters.
Wash chives and pat dry with absorbent kitchen paper.
- - Prepare chicken salad.
Put all ingredients in a large bowl: chicken, carrots, potatoes, sweet and sour onions and aromatic herbs.
Mix vigorously olive oil with mustard and season your chicken salad with this sauce.
Add salt, if necessary.
Just before serving
- - Let your chicken salad rest at least an hour before serving.
- - If you prepare this chicken salad in the morning for the evening chill it but remember to bring it to room temperature before serving.
- - In summer I prefer to use fresh carrots (500g - 1.1 pound).
- - Keep chicken broth for a special risotto. For example mushroom risotto (link below)
- - This dish is ideal in summer, accompanied with a seasonal green salad. But it must be an occasional dinner menu for your family as I explain above.
- - You can prepare it for a meal, buffet-style for your special occasions in every season. In this case with these doses you have more servings.
- - This chicken dish is perfect for a cold dinner, Italian-style in summer.
Starter: you can choose Italian antipasto, canapés, crostini, finger food you prefer.
First course: rice salad or pasta salad according to your own taste but not with fish.
Second course: my chicken salad
Dessert: fruit salad topped with ice cream.
Useful links for this recipe
- - Read the recipe for mushroom risotto.
- - Consult our pages on Italian antipasto.
Take a look at pasta salad and cold rice dishes.
- - I don't recommend this chicken salad for your daily menu, except occasionally. Portions are not satisfactory and its calories only allow to combine it with cooked or raw vegetables in season served with a teaspoon of olive oil. You should not add bread too for the presence of potato.
- - Fiber per serving: 3.9g
What's the right wine for " Mustard-flavored chicken salad "?
My husband and I suggest Greco di Tufo (white wine from Campania - Italy)
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1