Pollo alla cacciatora
Chicken cacciatore, Italy-style Authentic Italian recipes
Hunter's chicken stew or chicken cacciatore is a typical Italian recipe for cooking chicken. It's very tasty and easy to do. You'll need a chicken, onions, peeled tomatoes and a good-quality olive oil. Nothing else for a low calorie and fat recipe as long as you follow my tips. Perfect for your Mediterranean diet.
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 1 1.2kg (2.6 pounds) chicken in pieces
- 1 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) fresh young onions
- 2 400g (14 ounces) cans peeled tomatoes
- 250ml (8 1/2 fluid ounces - 1C) white dry wine
- Pepper, if you like
preparation: 15 minutes
cooking: about 60 minutes
total: 1 h 15 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 284 (kcal) 15 % GDA (*)- 1187 (kJ)
Protein: 37.8 (g) 76 % GDA
Total fat: 12.3 (g) 18 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 5.6 (g) 3 % GDA
Sugars: 5.6 (g) 7 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (101 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Cacciatora chicken recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Clean, wash and chop onions.
- - Put olive oil, chicken pieces and onions in a pan and let all the ingredients fry lightly, stirring often.
- - Pour in white wine and let it evaporate, about 5 minutes.
- - Meanwhile mash peeled tomatoes with a fork or put them through a food mill.
- - Add your mashed tomatoes, season to taste with salt and pepper (if you like it), stir, reduce heat and continue cooking until the sauce is reduced, about 40 minutes, stirring now and then.
- - If the chicken complete its cooking before, remove its pieces from the pan and finish cooking its gravy.
Add again all chicken pieces only for reheating before serving.
Just before serving
- - Serve your chicken cacciatora warm covered with its cooking juice as you can see on the photo.
- - For a low-fat and low-calorie chicken recipe: remove its peel from the chicken before cooking it and use only extra virgin olive oil.
In the traditional recipe chicken is sautéed in unsalted butter and oil.
- - If you want your children eat some vegetables, take the opportunity of this recipe. Add some steamed pumpkin to chicken sauce in the last ten minutes of cooking. The sauce will be tastier and thick.
- - You can substitute peeled tomatoes with puréed tomatoes.
- - You can serve chicken cacciatore with polenta: a tasty one-plate meal. In the photo you can see a piece of chicken accompanied by polenta.
- - The nutrition facts you can read above were calculated with a skinned chicken and no butter.
Compare the nutrition facts of this chicken recipe when you use a chicken with its skin and butter (30g - 1 ounce) together with the same amount of olive oil:
calories: 531 kcal (2221 kJ)
total fat: 36.4g
total carbohydrates: 5.7g
What's the right wine for " Chicken cacciatore, Italy-style "?
My husband and I are used to pair Grignolino (red wine from Piedmont - Italy) or Bardolino Superiore (red DOCG wine from Veneto - Italy) or, simplier, Bardolino (DOC wine from Veneto - Italy) tothis chicken cacciatore style
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1