Pollo alla cacciatora
Cacciatora chicken, Italy-style Authentic Italian recipes
Hunter's chicken stew or pollo alla cacciatora is a typical Italian recipe for cooking chicken. It's very tasty and easy to do. You'll need a chicken, onions, peeled tomatoes and a good-quality olive oil. Nothing else for a low calorie and fat recipe.
- 1 1.2kg (2.6 pounds) chicken in pieces
- 1 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) fresh young onions
- 2 400g (14 ounces) cans peeled tomatoes
- 250ml (8 1/2 fluid ounces - 1C) white dry wine
- Pepper, if you like
preparation: 15 minutes
cooking: about 60 minutes
total: 1 h 15 minutes
- Nutrition Facts (amount per serving):
Calories: 284 (kCal) 15 % GDA (*) - 1187 (kJ)
Protein: 37.8 (g) 51 % GDA
Total fat: 12.3 (g) 18 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 5.6 (g) 3 % GDA
Sugars: 5.6 (g) 7 % GDA
Clean, wash and chop youn onions.
Put the olive oil, chicken pieces and onions in a pan and let all the ingredients fry lightly, stirring often.
Pour in the white wine and let it evaporate for about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile mash peeled tomatoes with a fork or put them through a food mill.
Add the mashed tomatoes, season to taste with salt and pepper (if you like it), stir, turn down the flame and continue cooking for about 40 minutes or until the sauce is reduced, stirring now and then.
If the chicken complete its cooking before remove its pieces from the pan and finish cooking the sauce. Add again the chicken pieces only for reheating before serving.
Serve the chicken warm covered with its cooking juice as you can see on the photo.
- - For a low-fat and low-calorie chicken recipe: remove the peel from the chicken before cooking it and use only extra virgin olive oil. In the traditional recipe chicken is sautéed in unsalted butter and oil. The nutrition facts you can read above were calculated with a skinned chicken and no butter.
Compare the nutrition facts of this chicken recipe when you use a chicken with its skin and butter (30g - 1 ounce) together with the same amount of olive oil:
calories: 531 kCal (2221 kJ)
total fat: 36.4g
total carbohydrates: 5.7g
- - You can serve hunter's chicken stew (pollo alla cacciatora) with polenta: a tasty one-plate meal. In the photo you can see a piece of chicken with a polenta slice.
- - If you want your children eat some vegetables, take the opportunity of this recipe. Add some steamed pumpkin to the sauce in the last ten minutes of cooking. The sauce will be tastier and thick.
- - You can substitute peeled tomatoes with puréed tomatoes.