Raw seafood assorted platter (Crudità di mare assortite)
Our original home cooking
This delicious seafood starter consists of tuna tartare and raw crustaceans, all marinated in citrus juice. A plate of this kind requires careful reflection on hygiene. I will look into this issue below. You have to know that, if you do not like raw fish, you can always sear them in the pan, very few minutes and then serve without problems. Mediterranean diet recipe.
time: 20 minutes
calories: 180 (kCal)
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 200g (7 ounces) fresh tuna
- 4 medium-size scampi
- 4 king pranws
- 8 shrimps
- 1 juicy big orange
- 1 juicy big lemon
- Some strands fresh chives
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, if liked
- preparation: 20 minutes
plus marinating time
cooking: not required
total: 20 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
9 % -
Protein: 21.9 (g) 44 % GDA
Total fat: 9.2 (g) 14 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 2.7 (g) 1 % GDA
Sugars: 2.7 (g) 3 % GDA
Download free PDF version (47 download).
Recipe for assorted antipasto platter with raw tuna and shrimps
- - Wash and pat dry chives.
- - Squeeze lemon and orange and transfer their juice into a little bowl.
Add olive oil, pepper, if desired, and a pinch of salt. Cut in chives too.
Beat with a fork vigorously, to have an emulsion.
- - Cube tuna and dress with 3 to 4 tablespoons emulsion.
Stir very well, cover with food film and chill, 30 minutes.
- - Prepare scampi, prawns and shrimps as you can see in the photo. Remove only their shell at the level of the edible portion in order to discover it completely. Crustaceans must be very fresh. It is the only state that allows you to remove their digestive vein without any problem. In fact you will see that, by removing the portion of the shell near the head, it will come off easily.
Align all crustaceans in a deep tray and cover with emulsion. If not enough, add more orange and lemon juice.
Cover with food film and marinate in the refrigerator, 30 minutes.
Just before serving
- - Drain all crustaceans from marinade and stir tuna.
Arrange all your marinated seafood in a serving platter and serve at once.
- - I prepare this specialty very rarely and usually in places where I can verify the freshness of what I buy very carefully. Mostly when I'm on holiday at the seaside, in summer.
- - The photo was taken by my husband in Puglia where we were spending our summer holidays. So you can see the famous red shrimps typical of Gallipoli and Ionian sea.
- - Typically, I offer these crudités on slices of organic oranges you can eat at the same time. Even a few pieces of dried fruit is fine to garnish and eat ;)) In the case of the photo: almonds.
Some of you may be surprised. Oranges in summer? In Puglia there are sweet and juicy oranges in summer too!
- - As I have just written in the first part of my post, if you do not like or not trust raw fish, you can cook all in their marinating liquid on high heat. 1 to 2 minutes will be enough!. More details in "Healthy eating".
- - This is a recipe you can serve as antipasto or main dish in your summer full menus and one-plate meal for your family. The serving changes, obviously!
- - I remind you that marinating in acidic juice is actually a form of "cooking" without heat. But let me explain better. This method that a lot of people associate with the ceviche, Peruvian dish famous in the world (but I remember you it is also very Italian, think for example to the raw marinated anchovies and many other recipes from its seaside town) actually serves to denature the proteins of fish and then to transform the initially gelatinous mass in a more compact structure. But as a biologist, I have to remember that it is a cooking method without heat. So the dish is very tasty - yes - but it can not guarantee hygiene. In other words, microorganisms that are deleted only from the heat remain!
- - This recipe has not fiber.
What's the right wine “Italian raw seafood platter”?
Generally, my husband and I pair a white wine from Friuli, Ribolla Gialla to this raw seafood platter. It is also perfect the Negroamaro sparkling wine from Apulia according to us.