A bread bowl with salami & prosciutto (Affettati in cestino di pane)
Our original home cooking
Looking for a new way of serving Italian salami? look at my tip. A bread bowl you can make at home filled with assorted cold cuts. Nice-to-see, tasty-to-eat antipasto, Italian style. A different way to serve assorted salami: they are arranged in a dough bread bowl so your guests will be able to eat all, included bowl =_^
time: 35 minutes
calories: 548 (kCal)
Ingredients / Serves 6
- 700g (1 1/2 pound) simple bread dough
- 2 tablespoons dried chives
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) boiled ham, sliced
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) San Daniele or Parma ham (prosciutto crudo), sliced
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) salami, sliced
- 6 little artichokes in oil
- preparation: 15 minutes
plus time for bread dough
cooking: 15-20 minutes
total: 35 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
28 % -
Protein: 23 (g) 46 % GDA
Total fat: 22 (g) 32 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 68.6 (g) 26 % GDA
Sugars: 3.2 (g) 4 % GDA
Download free PDF version (181 download).
Recipe for bread bowl filled with ham and salami
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare simple bread dough. Link to my recipe below!
Add 2 tablespoons dried chives to ingredients.
Let your dough rest in a warm place, about a couple of hours.
- - Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- - Divide your dough into three parts.
Using a long pasta rolling pin, roll out one part of your dough on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of 2 cm (3/4 in).
Using a pastry brush, oil the external base and side of a dish soufflé.
Press your dough on this surface.
Try to shape in the best way its edge.
Create little round loaves or plaited ones with remaining dough .
- - Bake in oven, about 15 minutes.
This time is enough for your bread bowl; probably it is necessary more time for loaves.
- - Let bread dough cool very well before removing it.
Just before serving
- - Arrange prosciutto and salami slices inside your bread bowl together with artichokes in oil as you can see in the photo or according to your fancy.
- - Serve your special antipasto accompanied with loaves.
- - If you want your bread bowl ca be eaten together with salami, do not prepare bread the day before.
If you use it only to serve your ham, it is a different matter. You can prepare everything the day before and heat up loaves in the oven just before serving
- - This bread bowl filled with assorted salami is perfect as edible centerpiece.
- - This way of serving cold cuts is fine when you have to plan an outdoor dinner or lunch party, a BBQ party, an afternoon snack party. In every case where your menu is rustic and then informal.
Useful links for this recipe
- - Here's the recipe for bread dough.
- - I calculated calories, fat and sugar for this bread bowl with cold cuts only for your personal curiosity. Clearly, it is a dish for special occasions, when in most cases you are not on a diet!
What's the right wine “A bread bowl with salami & prosciutto”?
Pair young Chianti Classico (red wine from Tuscany) to this bread bowl filled with salami.