Savory tart with bell peppers and eggs (Torta salata con peperoni e uova)
Our original home cooking
Savory tart with bell peppers and eggs is very tasty and can be served in many different occasions. It is a recipe of mine. If you want to use fresh ingredients obviously it is a dish for summer or early fall. Using frozen peppers and dried herbs you can prepare it all year round.
time: 1 hour 50 minutes
calories: 481 (kCal)
Ingredients / Serves 4
- Pizza dough or 1 200-250g (7-8 3/4 ounces) pkt ready rolled pie crust
- 800g (1 3/4 pound) red, yellow, green bell peppers
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) fresh, young onions, fnely sliced
- 1 tablespoon capers in vinegar
- 5 anchovy fillets in oil
- Some flat-leaf parsley sprigs
- Little bunch fresh chives
- 3 eggs
- 50g (1 3/4 ounce) black olives, stoned
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- preparation: 30 minutes
plus leavening time
cooking: 80 minutes
total: 1 hour 50 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
25 % -
Protein: 16.4 (g) 33 % GDA
Total fat: 21.1 (g) 31 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 60.2 (g) 23 % GDA
Sugars: 10.1 (g) 12 % GDA
Download free PDF version (150 download).
Recipe for savory tart with bell peppers and eggs
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare pizza dough.
Prepare pizza dough following my instructions (half the doses) or according to your recipe (you need 250g -8 3/4 ounces all purpose flour). I suggest pizza dough with fresh yeast for this recipe. Link to my recipe below.
- - Meanwhile pizza dough is leavening prepare other ingredients.
Clean and wash parsley and chives. Pat dry with absorbent kitchen and chop with scissors.
Quarter sweet peppers and remove their seeds.
Wash under cold running water and pat dry with kitchen paper.
Cut them into thin strips and put apart.
- - Cook bell peppers.
Put 2 tablespoons olive oil, anchovy fillets, capers, onion and sweet pepper strips in a non-stick frying pan.
Fry all ingredients over low heat, stirring often, at least 10 minutes.
Then add 2 ladles boiling vegetable stock or, simplier, hot water.
Season to taste with salt and continue cooking until sweet peppers are tender.
Add black olives, after slicing them, only few minutes before the end of cooking.
Add other hot stock or water only if necessary.
Once turned off the stove, add aromatic herbs too and stir very well.
Let bell peppers cool.
- - Complete your filling.
Beat all eggs with a pinch of salt.
Add them to cold sweet peppers and stir very well.
- - Prepare your savory tart.
Preheat oven to 180 °C (350°F).
Grease a 10 by 13-inch rectangular baking pan with remaining olive oil and sprinkle it with flour.
Roll out your pizza dough into a rectangular shape on a lightly floured surface and line the baking pan with it.
Prick with a fork pizza dough and spoon your filling.
Level its surface with a spoon.
Look at the photo for more details.
- - Baking.
Then bake until dough is golden, about 25-30 minutes.
Just before serving
- - Wait for 5 minutes before serving.
- - For a quicker recipe. Prepare your filling with sweet peppers ahead. Use ready rolled pie crust.
- - For an homogeneous filling. Dice the sweet pepper flesh.
- - For healthy eating lovers: prepare pizza dough with emmer flour and sourdough. Link below.
- - This savory tart tastes fantastic cold too. So you can prepare and cook it ahead for your get-togethers.
- - Cut into small pieces, this savory tart with bell peppers and eggs can be one of the many dishes for a meal, buffet-style or a snack for children and adults or a tasty appetizer!
- - It can be a perfect one-plate meal for your family.
Useful links for this recipe
- - Telling about this savory tart I have just suggested two types of shell. You could make pizza dough with fresh yeast or other flours such as emmer flour and sourdough.
- - This tart with peppers and eggs is rich in ingredients and, therefore, you have to serve it as one-plate meal for your family menu.
If the portion seems little, accompany it with a seasonal green salad slightly seasoned (1 teaspoon of oil per head).
Complete your meal with fresh fruit.
- - Fiber per serving: 5,5 grams.
What's the right wine “Savory tart with sweet peppers and eggs”?
You can accompany this savory tart with a white or red wine according to the other courses that accompany it.