Vegan savory tart with potatoes, winter vegetables and tofu (Torta salata vegana patate, tofu e cavoli)
Our original home cooking
This savory pie, stuffed with winter vegetables and potatoes, was born with the harvest of the last cabbages in my organic garden some years ago. I made it numerous times with bought vegetables too, and it has always been successful. Vegetable lovers like it a lot. Vegan recipe for Mediterranean diet.
time: 1 hour 30 minutes
calories: 512 (kCal)
Ingredients / Serves 4
- Pizza dough for two
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) brussels sprouts
- 200g (7 ounces) black kale
- 200g (7 ounces) broccolo fiolaro (more details below)
- 150g (5 1/3 ounces) tender leaves of savoy cabbage
- 30g (1 ounce) shallot
- 300g (10 1/2 ounces) potatoes
- 180g (6 1/3 ounces) tofu or ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin oive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- preparation: 30 minutes
cooking: 60 minutes
total: 1 hour 30 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
26 % -
Protein: 16.2 (g) 33 % GDA
Total fat: 21.2 (g) 31 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 68.3 (g) 26 % GDA
Sugars: 5.5 (g) 7 % GDA
Download free PDF version (63 download).
Recipe for savory pie filled with potatoes, assorted winter vegetables and tofu
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare pizza dough, if you want to make it by hand, otherwise you can use ready-to-bake pizza dough (about 230g - 8 ounces).
- - Meanwhile ...
... clean, wash and steam all your winter vegetables.
- - Chop shallot and let it fry slightly in 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, in a non-stick frying pan. Then add all your steamed vegetables, season to taste with salt and let all flavor stirring now and then. Let all cooking juice reduce very well. Turn off the stove.
- - Blend tofu with balsamic vinegar.
If you do not like this kind of vinegar, replace it with olive oil.
- - Now add it to the vegetables in the pan.
Stir very well.
- - Preheat oven to 200°C (350°F).
- - Roll out your pizza dough.
Grease a rectangular baking pan (35×28cm - 14x11in) with 2 teaspoons olive oil and sprinkle a tablespoon all-purpose flour.
Line your pan with pizza dough.
Spread your vegetable-and-tofu mixture on the bottom and level the surface with a spoon.
Cut all potatoes into very thin slices, grease with remaining olive oil, salt lightly and arrange them on the top in order to cover it all.
If you have the possibility to spray olive oil, you should place potato slices and only after season them.
- - Bake, about 30 minutes.
Just before serving
- - Grill for a few minutes to make potatoes crispy.
- - This savory tart is good served hot or warm.
- - I invented this pie after picking up the last cabbages of the season, some years ago. Tender for the frosts, a little bad to see ... but very good because poor of water and rich in taste for the high concentration of salts and sugars. Cabbages are defending themselves from the cold in this way. How to cook them? My husband and I wanted something new and so ... here's the recipe you have just read!
- - I made this savory pie with the vegetables from my garden but you can buy assorted cabbages according to your taste.
Brussels sprouts, savoy cabbage and kale are easily available, a little less the other one I used, but it can be replaced by a similar amount of broccoli or increasing the amount of savoy cabbage and Brussels sprouts.
In fact, broccolo fiolaro (link below) is a particular kind of broccolo typical of Venetian region in Italy, not available easily outside my country, I suppose.
So, if you need to replace broccolo fiolaro not with other kind of broccolo, I suggest to increase Brussels sprouts to 200g (7 ounces) and then the savoy cabbage required should be 250 to 300g (8 3/4 to 10 1/2 ounces).
- - Consult our page on pizza dough to find the best recipe for you (link below).
I did not include time for pizza dough in the preparation.
- - I often replace tofu with ricotta cheese.
- - This savory pie of mine with cabbage and potatoes is a great winter dinner. At least, a couple of nights a week our diet is vegetarian to decrease meat intake.
- - But it can also be a choice for a meal, buffet-style in the cold months. When you plan a large get-together, you need to consider the likely presence of vegetarians or vegans among your guests.
- - You could prepare this savory pie for an assorted antipasto platter too.
Useful links for this recipe
- - As promised, here's the page for pizza dough!
- - Follow the link if interested in broccolo fiolaro.
- - This pie is a real injection of vitamins, minerals, calcium and ... a real delicacy too. A vegetarian recipe and, if made with tofu, ... a vegan dish ... clearly. But it can be good for everyone as nutritionists invite us to eat less meat as possible.
- - I calculated nutrition facts with ricotta cheese.
- - Fiber per serving: 6.0 grams (daily intake is 30 grams).
What's the right wine “Potato, winter vegetable, tofu savory tart”?
A glass of good-quality white wine ;))