Lobster linguini (Linguine all'astice)
Our original home cooking
Linguine with lobster is a very refined dish but expensive, at least in Italy. So it is ideal for special occasions. For example, Christmas Eve or New Year's Eve dinner party. Here is my recipe tested several times. But be careful! You need to think twice about purchasing lobster and how to serve this pasta dish. More details after recipe directions. Dish of the Mediterranean diet.
time: preparation: 30 minutes
cooking: 30 minutes
total: 1 hour
calories: 417 (kCal)
Ingredients / Serves 2
- 1 350g (12 1/3 ounces) frozen pre-cooked lobster
- 1 30g (1 ounce) shallot, finely chopped
- 1 400g (14 ounces) can peeled tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 50ml (1 2/3 fluid ounces) white dry wine
- 140g (5 ounces) linguine (flat spaghetti)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Pepper, if you like
- preparation: 30 minutes
cooking: 30 minutes
total: 1 hour
- How many calories in a serving?
21 % -
Protein: 19.6 (g) 40 % GDA
Total fat: 12 (g) 18 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 60.5 (g) 23 % GDA
Sugars: 8 (g) 9 % GDA
Download free PDF version (200 download).
Recipe for lobster linguini with tomato sauce
Preparation and cooking
This is the recipe with frozen lobster. More details with lobster alive below!
- - Thaw your lobster following the instructions on the package.
Then remove the meat from it (link to the tutorial below!) and cut into pieces.
- - Prepare the sauce.
Saute shallot in olive oil, some minutes, stirring frequently in a non-stick frying pan.
Then add tomatoes together with their preserving liquid after mashing them with a fork. Stir.
Add aromatic herbs and wine after a couple of minutes.
Let tomato sauce cook on medium heat, half-covered, until reduced.
Turn off the stove and add lobster meat.
Season to taste with salt and pepper if you like.
Stir very well and put apart.
- - Meanwhile ...
... cook pasta in abundant salted water, drain when al dente, and transfer into the tomato-and-lobster sauce, directly into the pan.
Flavor all the ingredients on high heat, a minute, stirring continously but with delicacy.
Just before serving
- - At this point transfer your dressed pasta into a large bowl.
Garnish with lobster shell as you can see in the photo.
- - Serve immediately but think very well how to prepare the individual plates.
I suggest a cart or a table support.
This method is used to avoid splashing the sauce not only on your tablecloth but also on your guests.
If you have no cart or however the space does not allow it, you could do so:
prepare an oval or round serving platter with salad leaves (not dressed) and place the lobster shell on the top.
It willbe a very beautiful centerpiece and you'll be able to serve your pasta directly in individual plates.
- - Serve your past hot.
- - Your dish will have the best result with fresh lobster but many people do not like killing live lobster in boiling water: for this reason my suggestion is a recipe with frozen lobster.
Anyway, if you want to make this recipe with fresh lobster, I recommend you not to cook again lobster meat after boiling it. So the recipe directions are the same.
On the contrary, if you kill your live lobster with a sharp knife to be inserted inside the carapace, you have to remove meat from its shell and add to tomato sauce a minute before turning off the stove.
- - You can also add a garlic clove to the shallot. I do not like garlic because I think its flavor covers the real taste of the main ingredients. I prefer aromatic herbs.
- - You can substitute canned tomatoes with ripe but firm tomatoes, chopped, in summer.
- - Use this lobster and tomato sauce to dress spaghetti, tagliatelle and egg spaghetti (chitarra) too.
- - If you want to serve this dish in a perfect way, you have to place the empty shelled lobster on the top of pasta. I teach you in a tutorial how to remove meat from your lobster to have the whole shell. Link below!
Now two more words on how to serve lobster linguini. It often happens to me to see too much carelessness, especially at the restaurant. Remember that, if shellfish and crustaceans are served to you still in the shell, the main reason is related to the cleaning times, certainly not the fact that manners are outdated.
If you serve this dish at home, it is undoubtedly important that it is scenographic. But it is equally important to put at ease your guests. Do not force them to dirty their hands to remove lobster meat from its shell. It is unpleasant and for many good reasons. This is the reason why I have just described how to serve it correctly.
- - Lobster linguini is a very delicate dish you can combine easily with your preferred seafood. So you can plan a perfect fish-only menu.
- - About the servings. This dish serve 2 if you add only another course. It serve 4 and more In a full menu, rich of courses.
Useful links for this recipe
- - Here's the tutorial to remove completely meat from lobster shell with no damage so you can use it to garnish.
- - Linguini with lobster are not rich in calories but it depends on the right amount of every ingredient.
In fact if I'd use more olive oil the situation would change at once. Every tablespoon of olive oil has 90 calories ;))
What's the right wine “Linguine with lobsterin tomato sauce”?
A glass of Collio Pinot Grigio or Chardonnay (white wines from Italy) is a perfect pairing to lobster linguini.