Simple homemade bread dough (Pasta per pane)
Our original home cooking
This page is dedicated to step-by-step instructions to make a salt dough without egg at home, very simply. So you'll be able to prepare bread or a shell for your savory tart with all-purpose flour and active dry yeast. You'll adjust this recipe to all your needs with the experience you'll be able to make.
time: 50 minutes
calories: 1814 (kCal)
- 500g (1.1 pounds) all-purpose flour plus more for dusting
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 7g (1/4 ounce) active dried yeast
- 200ml (6 3/4 fluid ounces) warm water
- preparation: 30 minutes
plus leavening time
cooking: about 20 minutes
total time: 50 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
91 % -
Protein: 55 (g) 110 % GDA
Total fat: 13.5 (g) 20 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 392.5 (g) 146 % GDA
Sugars: 14.5 (g) 17 % GDA
Download free PDF version (132 download).
Bread dough how-to
- - Put flour in a bowl or on a work surface.
Make a well in the center: add salt, sugar, olive oil and yeast.
Begin pouring in little lukewarm water.
Incorporate flour into the water gradually, by helping yourself with a fork or your fingers.
Continue pouring in warm water and incorporating flour until a soft dough forms.
If you pour in too water (it may happen), your dough will be sticky. In this case add a little more flour.
Knead your dough on the work surface until smooth and elastic, 8 to 10 minutes.
- - Cover your dough with a napkin and let it rest in a warm place, 2 hours.
- - Bread dough is ready for your recipe.
- - If you want to make a very simple bread, shape your dough into buns, little loaves or finger rolls and let them leaven directly in baking sheets.
- - Then bake at 180°C (350°F) until their surface is well colored, 15 to 20 minutes.
- - This is a very simple basic dough that you can enrich to your liking by adding oil or nuts or oilseeds or by mixing different qualities of flour. The experience will suggest all the variants according to your taste and needs for different recipes.
- - Even the yeast can be different. Indeed, it should be different. Let dry yeast only on rare occasions.
- - Unlike other sites, I'm not pointing you to the precise amount of salt because I believe it can be variable and may also depend on some personal needs. Among other things, the WHO recommends limiting the amount of salt daily and there are many bakeries that do not use it any more in Italy. I have experienced that leavening is also good with only a pinch.
- - Calories, fat and sugar of bread dough refer to all ingredients used. It is very diffcult to make a calculation per serving.
In fact, with this amount of flour you should get 12 to 14 servings of bread and thin shells for two savory tarts (enough for 8 to 12 servings).
So approximate calories for a serving can be about 150.