Aubergines filled with meat & vegetables Traditional recipe from Spain
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 4 elongated aubergines
- 150 g (5 1/2oz) pork meat
- 150 g (5 1/2 oz) veal meat
- 400 g (14 oz) fresh white mushrooms (champignon de Paris)
- 1 red sweet pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 45 g (1 1/2oz) grated seasoned cheese
- 7 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Pepper, if you like
preparation: 30 minutes
cooking: about 60 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: XX (kcal) - XX (kJ)
Protein: XX (g)
Total fat: XX (g)
Total carbohydrate: XX (g)
Sugars: XX (g)
Download free PDF version (135 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Filled vegetables are a typical Spanish dish. We tell you how to fill aubergines, Spain-style.
You will need: elongated aubergines, pork and veal meat, white mushrooms, onion, sweet pepper, aromatic herbs and garlic, extra virgin olive oil.
Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) and oil a baking pan with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Remove the end to every aubergine,
wash them, pat dry with absorbent kitchen paper and halve lengthways. Remove partially the flesh and put it apart. Arrange
the aubergines on the baking pan, brush them with 4 tablespoons olive oil and bake for 20 minutes or until they are tender.
Meanwhile prepare the mushrooms. Wipe them with damp kitchen paper to remove any earth or grit and cut away the end of their stems; you don't need slice them. Remember not to wash them under running water; they shouldn't be washed before using. Put 4 tablespoons olive oil in a non-stick frying pan together with the garlic and the mushrooms. Let all the ingredients fry lightly for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Switch off the gas and when the mushrooms are cold, chop them finely.
Meanwhile chop the aubergine flesh you've put apart and then chop pork and veal meat using a large chef's knife. If you haven't got this kind of knife use a mincer.
Preheat again the oven to the same temperature. Put the remaining olive oil in another non-stick frying pan and fry lightly the onion and pepper; then add the meat. When the meat has changed its colour add the mushrooms and aubergine flesh too; keep on cooking, stirring frequently, for other 2 or 3 minutes. Switch off the gas, season to taste with salt and pepper (if you like) and fill every aubergine with this mixture. Sprinkle the surface of every aubergine with grated cheese and bake for 20-30 minutes. Let the filled vegetables rest for some minutes before serving.
- - We always substitute the garlic with 4 tablespoons dried chives that we add with the meat to the other ingredients. Besides we grate onion and pepper and we use young fresh onions (2). We digest this dish easily in this way.
- - If you want a recipe with less fat, you can substitute pork and veal meat with turkey meat.
- - If you have little time for the preparation or can't find fresh mushrooms, you can use frozen sliced mushrooms (300 g - 10 1/2 oz).
What's the right wine for " Melanzane ripiene " ?
Our suggestion is: Rioja Sin Creanza (a red young wine from Spain). If you prefer an Italian wine, you could choose Grignolino d'Asti (red wine from Piedmont).
You can find some ideas for combining this recipe with other dishes and setting up the table in the members-only area: so you'll be able to plan a Spanish dinner party!
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1