Crostoni di polenta con uova
di quaglia e tartufo
Quail eggs and black truffle on polenta slices Our original home cooking
Polenta slices with quail eggs and black truffles on the top are a real tidbit that will enrich your assorted antipasto, Italian style or your buffet. They are a starter for autumn and winter and all your important occasions. I sometimes prepare them as a main dish during the holidays when I abound with appetizers and first course that is pasta or rice. Below more details.
Ingredients / Serves 12
- 600g (1.3 pound) fully cooked polenta
- 30 quail eggs
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 45g (1.6 ounce) can black truffle slices in oil
preparation: 20 minutes
cooking: 15 minutes
total: 35 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 246 (kcal) 13 % GDA (*)- 1031 (kJ)
Protein: 5.2 (g) 11 % GDA
Total fat: 8.6 (g) 13 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 37.1 (g) 14 % GDA
Sugars: 0.8 (g) 1 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (174 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Recipe for quail eggs and black truffle on polenta slices
Preparation and cooking
- - Remove all truffle slices from the jar and place on a saucer, well separated. This will allow you to have them at your fingertips.
- - Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- - Bake polenta slices.
Cut fully cooked polenta into 15 slices.
Grease two baking pan with 2 teaspoons olive oil.
Arrange polenta slices in the pans and bake, 3 to 4 minutes.
Turn them upside down and bake, other 3 to 4 minutes.
- - Meanwhile ...
... fry quail eggs in the remaining olive oil on medium heat. Be careful: you need very few minutes to cook quail eggs.
Just before serving
- - Assemble your dish.
Remove quail eggs from the pan with a spatula and put them on polenta slices: two eggs per slice.
Arrange some slices of black truffle on the eggs as you can see in the photo.
Sprinkle quail eggs with the fat left in the pan.
- - If you have truffles in oil left, you can use this olive oil for other recipes. For example you can flavor roast meat or rabbit or add this oil to mushroom sauce to toss pasta.
- - You can also fry quail eggs in butter but in this case you increase the fat amount.
- - It's an easy-to-do recipe but quick too for starting a dinner party (Italian antipasto). You can also serve it in a meal, buffet-style as warm dish.
- - I choose these polenta dish as second course in a full menu during the holidays and my special occasions in fall and winter when my antipasto is very rich and my first course (pasta or rice) is full of ingredients. These polenta slices are inviting and not difficult to digest.
Useful links for this recipe
- - You can find sliced black truffles in oil via Internet too. This is the firm (Italia Tartufi) where my husband and I buy whole black truffles, truffle slices in oil or in brine and other specialties. Contact them for more details.
- - If you are interested in black truffle ... how to choose, buy, preserve, use in Italian recipes and so on, consult our special page dedicated to it: black truffle.
- - It takes about 5 quail eggs to replace a hen's egg. The quail eggs are therefore a good solution for those who must limit their intake of fat and cholesterol in particular.
- - Very few fibers: only 0.3 grams per serving.
- - I won't dwell too much in this speech because this is a dish for special occasions when ... you close one eye and both on your calories and fat, right? :))
What's the right wine for " Quail eggs and black truffle on polenta slices "?
So much is said and told on pairing black truffles with wine. I remember reading long ago to match the eggs with black truffles with a glass of Bolgheri Rosato. My husband and I tested it, obviously, and the experiment convinced us so much that we share it with you. But you must also take account of the other courses served in your starter or meal, buffet-style not to change too many wines. I remind you that Bolgheri Rosato (rosé wine from Tuscany) goes well with fish stew, sushi, steamed shellfish, pasta with tomato and fish sauce, appetizers, finger food ...
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1