Orange charlotte Authentic Italian dessert recipe
Orange charlotte is one of the most delicious desserts according to me. You'll look great with this very proven recipe, repeated over and over again in my kitchen by popular demand from my friends. Now look at the amount of calories and fat ... orange charlotte is a sweet only for special occasions. Prepare this orange charlotte in winter and early spring when oranges are in season. Interested in other Italian cakes or desserts?
Ingredients / Serves 12
- 3 oranges
- 150g (5 1/3 ounces) sugar
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 egg yolks
- A little glass of orange-flavored liqueur (Italian arancino)
- Jelly sheets for 300 to 400ml (10 to 13 fluid ounces - 1 1/3 to 1 2/3 cup)
- 500ml (1pint - 2 cups) double cream (heavy cream)
- 150g (5 1/3 ounces) savoiardi (also called sponge-biscuits or ladyfingers)
- 60g (2.1 ounces) icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons candied oranges, cubed
preparation: 50 minutes
plus cooling time
cooking: 15 minutes
total: an hour
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 296 (kcal) 15 % GDA (*)- 1238 (kJ)
Protein: 2.7 (g) 6 % GDA
Total fat: 15.9 (g) 23 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 35.3 (g) 14 % GDA
Sugars: 29.8 (g) 34 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (127 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Orange charlotte recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Soak jelly sheets in cold water.
- - Squeeze oranges and filter their juice.
- - Pour orange juice into a little saucepan together with 120g (4 1/4 ounces) sugar, egg yolks and cornstarch.
- - Cook on a very low heat, stirring with a whisk continuously.
Cook for few minutes until your cream thickens.
- - Wring soaked jelly, melt it into your cream, stirring, and let your cream cool.
- - Meanwhile boil 30g (1 ounce) sugar, melted in a glass of water, for about ten minutes over a very low flame.
- - Let your mixture cool and then pour in orange liqueur and stir.
- - Line a charlotte mold with transparent film that must overlap the edge.
- - Cut every savoiardo (ladyfinger) lengthways with a knife.
If you can't make this step, you can use whole savoiardi without cutting them.
- - Line charlotte mold with the savoiardi you have been moistened with the mixture of water, sugar and orange liquor.
- - Whip double cream very well together with icing sugar.
- - Then mix whipped double cream with your orange cream in circular movements from the bottom upwards, using a wooden spoon.
- - Spoon a part of the mixture on the bottom.
Cover with a layer of moistened savoiardi and go on alternating all ingredients (mixed creams and savoiardi) until finished.
- - Complete with a layer of moistened biscuits (for us Italians biscuits are savoiardi).
- - Cool in the refrigerator for 6 to 8 hours.
The best thing would be to make orange charlotte the day before.
Just before serving
- - Turn upside down your orange charlotte on a serving platter.
Remove transparent film with delicacy and garnish it with candied oranges or slices of fresh oranges according to your taste.
- - Orange charlotte is a typical do-ahead dessert.
- - My most valuable tip for you is to use film to line the charlotte mold. Too many times, at the beginning of my experiments in cooking, I had unpleasant results related to the fact that my orange charlotte didn't want to detach from the mold :((
- - You can prepare homemade savoiardi if you have time.
- - Keep your orange charlotte in the refrigerator for the presence of creams.
- - Orange charlotte is a dessert typical of winter and early spring when there are the best oranges. It is very tasty with Navel Babe oranges but with Tarot too.
- - Orange charlotte is a soft dessert, ideal for everyone.
- - You can serve this orange charlotte in a meal, buffet-style or a cocktail party because it's easy to eat standing.
- - Orange charlotte is a perfect dessert after a full menu, Italian-style. The only precaution is not to choose it after fish soup or fish stew. Look at our themed menu directory to find the best solution for you.
- - Orange charlotte is rich in calories and fat but their amount is lower if compared with other Italian and international cakes ;))) So don't eat too big portions ...
- - This orange charlotte is delicious. There are very few people who say no to a dessert after lunch or dinner, especially when people are out. But keep in mind that many sweets are the opposite of healthy eating.
So how can you do? As usual, the equilibrium point is the salvation of each one of us.
In the daily menu, as guidelines for healthy eating recommend us, we have to prefer dry and baked cakes paying attention to the amount of sugar.
But if there is a special event (birthday party at home, ceremony, dinner with friends ...) let's enjoy our special cake. Once in a while, especially if you do exercise, the body can metabolize the calories, fats and sugars in excess.
What's the right wine for " Orange charlotte "?
Don't match any dessert wine with orange charlotte but a liquor after serving it. My husband and I generally serve homemade arancino (orange-flavored liquor)
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1