Dolce al cioccolato
Chocolate cake Our original home cooking
The chocolate cake you can see in the photo is one of the first cake created by me several years ago for a special occasion. It tastes fantastic and it has not many calories. Serve it after a meal with fish or meat or for a kitchen party or in a meal, buffet-style. Pair this chocolate cake with Brachetto d'Acqui or Asti spumante, both wines of Piedmont. Here's the recipe.
Ingredients / Serves 12
- 4 eggs
- 150g (5 1/3 ounces) bitter chocolate
- 180g (6 1/3 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 150g (5 1/3 ounces) granulated sugar
- 35g (1 1/4 ounce) almonds, chopped
- 35g (1 1/4 ounce) hazelnuts, chopped
- 150g (5 1/3 ounces) unsalted butter
- 7.5g (1/4 ounce - 2 teaspoons) baking powder
- Pinch of salt
preparation: 30 minutes
cooking: 30-35 minutes
total: 1 hour
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 320 (kcal) 16 % GDA (*)- 1339 (kJ)
Protein: 6.0 (g) 12 % GDA
Total fat: 19.9 (g) 29 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 30.7 (g) 12 % GDA
Sugars: 19.3 (g) 22 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (130 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Chocolate cake recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Dissolve bitter chocolate in a water bath on very low heat and then melt butter stirring gently.
- - Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- - Butter a 22.5cm (9 in) round pie dish.
- - In a bowl, beat eggs and sugar for long time until pale and creamy.
Sprinkle in all-purpose flour, yeast and salt, stirring gently with a wooden spoon.
Fold in almonds and hazelnuts and then chocolate & butter mixture.
- - Gently, spoon into the buttered dish and level its surface.
- - Bake until firm and slightly shrunken from the sides of the dish, about 30-35 minutes.
Just before serving
- - Let your chocolate cake cool completely before turning it upside down on a serving plate.
- - For a better cake: cut your cake across horizontally. Fill it with jam according to your taste and sandwich discs of the sponge together.
- - You can use margarine instead of butter but I will strongly discourage its use.
- - Serve it with a little of ice-cream too. It's very good!!
What's the right wine for " Chocolate cake "?
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1