Chestnut cake Traditional Italian recipe
Castagnaccio is a very simple but delicious Italian cake. It is loved especially by people who can not give up chestnuts. In fact its main ingredient is chestnut flour enriched with nuts, raisins, sugar, butter and milk. Some variants offer the addition of rosemary, orange zest, fennel seeds ... differences related to the habits of the place where this chestnut cake is prepared. This typical Italian cake is an example of simple cooking and belongs to Tuscany, Liguria, Piedmont, Lazio and Emilia traditions.
Ingredients / Serves 8
- 300g (10 1/2 ounces) chestnut flour
- 70g (2 1/2 ounces) granulated sugar
- 1 glass of milk
- 1 glass of water
- 1 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 50g (1 3/4 ounce) raisins
- 50g (1 3/4 ounce) pine nuts
- 50g (1 3/4 ounce) walnuts, shelled
- 40g (1 1/2 ounce) unsalted butter
preparation: 30 minutes
cooking: 50 minutes
total: 1 hour and 20 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 342 (kcal) 18 % GDA (*)- 1431 (kJ)
Protein: 6.2 (g) 9 % GDA
Total fat: 16.4 (g) 24 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 45.2 (g) 17 % GDA
Sugars: 22.9 (g) 26 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (108 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
- - Soak raisins in warm water.
- - Sift flour with sugar and a pinch of salt in a bowl.
- - Begin adding milk, water and 2 teaspoons olive oil slowly, stirring continuosly.
- - If necessary, help you with a whisk to avoid any lump.
Your mixture must be fairly smooth and homogeneous.
- - At this point squeeze raisins and break walnuts into pieces.
- - Add raisins, walnuts and pine nuts to the mixture.
- - Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
- - Grease a large baking pan (remember castagnaccio isn't a high cake!)
Pour in your mixture.
- - Spoon the remaining olive oil on the top and add, if liked, some unsalted butter.
- - Bake until your cake is well dried, 50 to 60 minutes.
Just before serving
- - Let your chestnut cake cool very well before serving.
- - Preserve your cake for 2 to 3 days at room temperature.
- - Italian castagnaccio is a very particular cake. Not everyone like chestnut flour and so my tip is to prepare an alternative cake too if you are guests whose tastes are unknown.
- - It is a delicious cake to complete a fall or winter dinner menu according to my taste. The best choice for dinner recipes based on meat, game, mushrooms and other seasonal similar vegetables.
Useful links for this recipe
- - Do you prefer low-calorie-and-fat castagnaccio recipe?
- - The chestnut has all the benefits of nuts, but like all the desserts you should not eat a lot.
Think that a portion corresponds to about half the calories of a meal ... ;)
What's the right wine for " Chestnut cake "?
I always suggest and pair Vin Santo.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1