Crostata con ricotta e canditi
Ricotta cheese and candied fruit tart Our original home cooking
I learned to do my baked ricotta and candied fruit tart from my paternal grandmother who was from Abruzzi. She had the habit to make a pie not a tart like me. In fact she lined her baking pan with half the short pastry, spooned ricotta filling and then covered her cake with remaining short pastry, after pricking it with a thimble. When I was a child my grandmother ricotta tart was the best cake :))
Ingredients / Serves 12
- Short pastry (double the doses for this recipe)
- 500g (1.1 pound) ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) granulated sugar
- 30g (1 ounce) pure chocolate, grated
- 40g (1 1/2 ounce) candied fruit, diced
- 20g (3/4 ounce) candied cherries
- Grated ring of 1 organic lemon
- Grated ring of 1 organic orange
- 50ml (1 2/3 fluid ounces - 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon) Strega liqueur
preparation: 40 minutes
plus resting time for short pastry
cooking: 30-40 minutes
total: 1 h 20 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 463 (kcal) 24 % GDA (*)- 1937 (kJ)
Protein: 9.1 (g) 19 % GDA
Total fat: 21.6 (g) 31 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 58.6 (g) 22 % GDA
Sugars: 33.4 (g) 38 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (121 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Recipe for baked ricotta and candied fruit tart
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare tart shell.
Make short pastry following my instructions or your favorite recipe. Link to my recipe below!
Let it rest for 30 minutes.
- - Meanwhile prepare tart filling.
Put beaten egg, sugar, ricotta cheese, liqueur, chocolate, lemon and orange zest and a pinch of chinnamon into a bowl.
Stir very well and add candied fruit too at the end.
- - Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- - Line a removable bottom tart pan with waxed paper.
- - Roll out your short pastry but put a bit apart for decorations as you can see in the photo.
Line your tart pan with it.
Prick its bottom with a fork.
Spoon your filling and level its surface.
Roll out remaining dough, cut into pieces and give them the shape you prefer.
Decorate with your dough pieces and candied cherries.
- - Bake until short pastry is golden about 30 to 40 minutes.
Just before serving
- - Let your tart cool very well before transfering into a serving plate.
- - You can prepare your ricotta tart the day before.
- - Preserve it in a cool place for a couple of days.
- - Serve this ricotta tart after your lunch or dinner menu, at your afternoon tea party or in a meal, buffet-style.
- - Here a menu idea, Italian style you can prepare for Easter or to celebrate a special occasion in spring. All links to suggested recipes in the next paragraph!
Starter. Assorted Italian antipasto, Umbria-style. It's the best starter according to me.
First course. Asparagus and strawberry risotto. A seasonal rice dish that everybody will like.
Second course. Baked lamb leg accompanied by baked potatoes and green seasonal salad.
Dessert. This ricotta tart.
Useful links for this recipe
- - I begin with short pastry recipe. It may be very similar to your version but it is useful for doses.
- - Here you can find all links to suggested recipes for spring menu, Italian style.
Antipasto from Umbria is delicious but if you do not like it, you'll be able to find other antipasto ideas in its directory.
The first course in Italian menu is based on pasta or rice. Strawberry and asparagus risotto has two seasonal ingredients :))
Finally a very tasty lamb recipe I learnt to do when I lived in Umbria.
- - If you want, you can prepare short pastry with half doses, its crust will be thinner and you'll decrease calories, total fat and sugars
- - As usual when I write about sweets, I have to focus on calories, total fat and sugars. Also in this case a slice of tart with ricotta and candied fruit alone can be compared almost to a meal. So moderation is the most important advice to give you.
- - Fiber per serving: 1.2 grams
What's the right wine for " Ricotta cheese and candied fruit tart "?
Serve a sweet sparkling wine or orange-flavored liqueur after eating this tart.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1