Sweet ravioli Authentic Italian recipe
Sweet ravioli is a typical Italian recipe for Carnival that according to our tradition provides for frying as cooking method. But I prefer to prepare them baked, like the ones you see in our photo. It's the reason why I usually make sweet ravioli not only for Carnival but in many other times of the year. I like to have them for breakfast, stuffed with my favorite jam. A snack for children too, even at school.
Ingredients / Serves 8
- 200g (7 ounces) potato flour
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces)all-purpose flour plus extra for dusting
- 85g (3 ounces) granulated sugar
- 50 g (1 3/4 ounce) unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 egg
- Grated rind of a lemon
- 1 210g (7 1/2 ounces) jar jam
- Extra virgin olive oil for frying
- Icing sugar for dusting
preparation - 50 minutes
plus resting time for your dough
cooking - 30 minutes
total: 1 h 20 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 274 (kcal) 14 % GDA (*)- 1144 (kJ)
Protein: 2.9 (g) 6 % GDA
Total fat: 6.1 (g) 9 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 54.5 (g) 21 % GDA
Sugars: 24.2 (g) 27 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (160 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Sweet fried ravioli recipe
This is the recipe for Italian sweet fried ravioli. If you want to bake them, the only difference is the cooking method. Bake them at 180°C (350°F) until golden.
- - Prepare ravioli dough.
Put potato flour, all-purpose flour and sugar in a bowl or on a work surface.
Stir to blend.
Make a well in the center and add egg, softened butter (cut into little pieces), lemon zest, a pinch of salt, a pinch of bicarbonate and milk.
Gradually, incorporate all your ingredients with a fork or your fingertips.
You might have to add other flour if your dough is very sticky.
At this point knead your dough on a floured work surface for 8-10 minutes, until elastic.
Cover with a napkin and allow to rest for at least 30 minutes in a cool place.
- - Prepare sweet ravioli.
Roll out your dough on a lightly floured surface, beginning from the center, to a thickness of 0,3cm (1/8in).
You have to use a long pasta rolling pin for this.
Cut your dough using a glass or a round cutter.
Spoon jam on every pasta disc.
Cover it with another pasta disc and press them together with a fork or with your fingers dipped sparingly in water.
- - Fry ravioli in extra virgin olive oil until golden on both sides.
- - Scoop them out and drain off the oil.
- - Arrange them on absorbent kitchen paper to remove fat in excess.
Just before serving
- - Dust with icing sugar and serve warm.
- - I suggest to use extra virgin olive oil or peanut to fry.
- - Don't eat fried food too many times; it isn't healthy food ;))
- - Choose the jam you prefer to fill these stuffed sweets.
- - You can also cook these Carnival sweets in the oven; the photo shows baked sweet ravioli.
- - In Italy we have always had the habit to prepare a lot of fried sweets for Carnival parties. Nowadays more and more people are changing this habit and prefer baked cakes especially for children.
- - Planning a Carnival party menu? Prepare both savory and sweet recipes. Italian pizza and focaccia, mini rolls stuffed with raw ham, savory tarts and obviously a lot of cakes.
Useful links for this recipe
- - You could be interested in another recipe for baked Carnival sweets.
- - As I have just explained, I prefer to cook these sweet ravioli in the oven rather than frying them.
Frying can be chosen as a cooking method rarely and especially for adults. Lately, nutritionists do not demonize it as they had the habit to do once, provided that certain rules are accepted. For example, the right choice of oil: olive oil or peanut oil. And above all: do not use oil for frying more than once. These solutions make homemade fried food still acceptable.
- - Calories of sweet ravioli refer to the cooking in the oven.
What's the right wine for " Sweet ravioli "?
If made for adults, pair Malvasia di Castelnuovo Don Bosco (sweet wine from Piedmont - Italy) to this Carnival sweet.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1