Chiacchiere con la grappa
Carnival fried pastries with Grappa Authentic Italian recipe
These fried pastries with grappa are a variant of that Italian traditional recipe that typically sees the dough flavored with white wine. The flavor of these Carnival fritters is definitely more intense and directed only to adults. It seems obvious to me and to you?
Ingredients / Serves 6
- 500g (1.1 pound) all-purpose flour plus extra for dusting
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) granulated sugar
- 50g (1 3/4 ounces) unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons Grappa
- 4 eggs
- Grated rind of a lemon
- Peanut oil for frying
- Icing sugar for dusting
preparation: 40 minutes
plus resting time for the dough
cooking: 30 minutes
total time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 460 (kcal) 23 % GDA (*)- 1925 (kJ)
Protein: 13.9 (g) 28 % GDA
Total fat: 10.8 (g) 16 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 81.9 (g) 31 % GDA
Sugars: 18.1 (g) 21 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (152 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Recipe for Italian chiacchiere with grappa
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare chiacchiere dough.
Place flour in a bowl or on a work surface and make a well in the center.
Add sugar, eggs, lemon rind, softened butter, Grappa and a pinch of salt in the well.
Beat eggs and other ingredients with a fork.
At this point begin amalgamating all ingredients until a soft dough forms.
Continue kneading until your dough is smooth and elastic and there is no trace of dough on your fingers, about ten minutes.
Cover with a napkin and let your dough rest, 30 minutes.
- - Give their shape to chiacchiere.
Roll out your dough on lightly floured surface to a thickness of 0.2cm (1/8in).
Cut dough into 8 to 10cm (3 to 4 inches) width strips.
Then every strip in rectangular pieces (you can choose the best dimension).
Make two long cuts inside.
- - Frying chiacchiere.
Fry them on both sides in abundant peanut oil, in a non-stick frying pan, until they are golden on both sides.
Transfer them on absorbent kitchen paper in order to remove fat.
Sprinkle with icing sugar.
Just before serving
- - You can serve chiacchiere warm or cold, the choice is yours.
- - You can prepare chiacchiere in advance and this is very useful if you have to prepare other dishes for your party.
- - Chiacchiere or other sweet fritters are a good idea if you have to plan a menu, buffet-style in Carnival time or winter.
- - You can serve them at the end of your dinner menu with friends.
Useful links for this recipe
- - You can find other sweet and savory recipes, included other chiacchiere recipe ideas, and handmade decorations for your party in the page dedicated to Carnival, Italian-style.
- - Calories, fat and sugar you see above are not the real ones of these fried sweets. I only considered the ingredients for their dough.
It is not possible to make an accurate count because they absorb, like all fried foods, different quantities of oil and in this case you must also add icing sugar.
To get an idea of their calories, you have to weigh 100 grams of chiacchiere, once fried and sprinkled with sugar, and then add at least 150 calories.
What's the right wine for " Carnival fried pastries with Grappa "?It's better not to pair a sweet wine because there is Grappa liqueur in chiacchiere dough.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1