Frittelle di riso
Rice fritters Authentic Italian recipe
Rice fritters can be made in two different ways. This recipe is more elaborate and long to do. Rice fritters are real tiles in this case, but very nice to serve at table. Be careful you can sometimes break them and it happens quite often. For the other version, link to the recipe below.
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 200g (7 ounces) rice
- 1l (2.1 pints - 4 1/4 cups) skimmed milk
- 60g (2.1 ounces) granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon powdered vanilla
- Plain dried breadcrumbs
- Olive oil or peanut oil for frying
preparation: 30 minutes
plus cooling time
cooking: 50 minutes
total time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 458 (kcal) 23 % GDA (*)- 1917 (kJ)
Protein: 16.4 (g) 33 % GDA
Total fat: 15.3 (g) 22 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 68.1 (g) 26 % GDA
Sugars: 26.8 (g) 30 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (131 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Rice fritter recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Cook rice.
Pour rice into abundant boiling water and cook it for 2 minutes since water begins boiling again.
Drain it very well.
... pour milk into a saucepan together with a little ladle of water.
Bring to the boil.
When milk begins boiling, add drained rice and powdered vanilla.
Let rice cook on a low heat, half-covered, about 10 to 15 minutes, stirring now and then.
Add sugar (40g - 1 1/2 ounces) only at the end of cooking.
All milk must be absorbed but be careful that rice does not dry too much.
Turn off the stove and add egg yolks too.
Stir very well with a wooden spoon.
Transfer rice on a tray or on a work surface and level it with a spoon (the layer must be at least 1 to 1.5in thick).
Let it grow cool.
- - At this point cut rice layer into little rectangles.
Dip them into beaten egg and then into plain dried breadcrumbs.
- - Heat oil and fry rice rectangles on both sides until their surface becomes golden.
- - Remove your fritters from the oil with a skimming ladle and put them on absorbent kitchen paper to remove the excess of fat.
Just before serving
- - Sprinkle with remaining sugar and serve immediately.
- - Use a quality of rice that does not overcook and that requires at least 15 minutes for cooking.
- - I always fry in peanut oil and more rarely in olive oil, in a deep pot or in the deep-fat fryer. However, I do not use the fryer for this recipe because rice fritters are too delicate.
And, importantly, I never use the oil a second time.
In any case, I make both sweet and savory fried food very rarely. I replace frying method with cooking in the oven whenever it is possible.
- - Why don't you experiment the cooking in the oven? Line baking sheets with baking paper. Grease paper with some tablespoons olive oil. Brush it carefully. Arrange your rice rectangles and bake at 200°C (400°F) until golden. Remember to turn them over at least once.
Useful links for this recipe
- - There is another recipe for rice fritters. It's a typical recipe from Umbria (Italy)
- - Calories and fat that you read in nutrition facts refer only to the ingredients of rice fritters. There is no way to quantify how much oil these rice sweets can absorb in frying. You can well imagine that these data are actually much higher.
Better, much better baking, especially if you have children
What's the right wine for " Rice fritters "?Pair a good sweet wine to rice fritters such as Orvieto Amabile from Umbria - Italy.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1