Carnival fritters from Venice Authentic Italian recipes
Venetian fritole are fried sweets that are made so puffy, soft and delicious with the clear purpose that people eat them one after the other. They are typical of Carnival in Italy. Ideal if you need to prepare a party and then a table with a lot of sweet and savory finger foods. In fact fritole can also be eaten cold.
Ingredients / Serves 6
- 25g (1 ounce) fresh yeast
- 200ml (6 3/4 fluid ounces - 1/2 plus 1/3 cup) skimmed milk
- 200g (7 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 3 egg yolks
- 50g (1 3/4 ounces) granulated sugar
- 250g (8 3/4 ounces) unsalted butter
- 50g (1 3/4 ounces) pine nuts
- 50g (1 3/4 ounces) sultanas
- Half a coffee cup of Grappa
- Olive or peanut oil for frying
- Icing sugar for dusting
preparation: 30 minutes
plus leavening time for dough
cooking: 30 minutes
total time: 1 hour
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 598 (kcal) 30 % GDA (*)- 2502 (kJ)
Protein: 10.9 (g) 22 % GDA
Total fat: 43.7 (g) 63 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 42.9 (g) 16 % GDA
Sugars: 17.3 (g) 20 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (199 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Recipe for fritole, Venetian sweet fritters
Preparation and cooking
- - Melt fresh yeast in warm milk in a bowl and add 2 tablespoons flour.
Stir accurately, cover and let it rise in a warm place.
Your dough must double.
- - Meanwhile ...
... soak sultanas in warm water, at least 20 minutes.
- - Put remaining flour, milk, egg and egg yolks, sugar, melted butter and a pinch of salt in a large bowl.
Add risen dough too.
Stir very well and add pine nuts, sultanas squeezed of their soaking water and Grappa.
Mix very well.
Let your dough rise again, about an hour.
- - Heat oil in a skillet.
Transfer leavened dough with a spoon into hot oil.
Fry over a gentle heat.
When your fritters are well golden and swollen, take away from the oil with a skimming ladle and put them on absorbent kitchen paper to remove the excess of fat.
Just before serving
- - Arrange your fritters on a platter and sprinkle with icing sugar.
Serve them lukewarm o cold.
- - I sometimes use kamut flour instead of all purpose flour with good results.
- - It's impossible to calculate calories of sweet or savory fritters exactly. So what you can read above, in nutrition facts, is related only to the ingredients of the dough for fritole.
Every fried food is rich in calories, remember what I've just written and make it rarely.
What's the right wine for " Carnival fritters from Venice "?
Do not pair any sweet wine with these cakes. There is liqueur Grappa in their dough ;))
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1