Crostoli del Trentino
Carnival knots, Trentino style Authentic Italian recipes from Trentino - Italy
Crostoli from Trentino are a traditional recipe of that beautiful region in the north of Italy, typical of Carnival time. They are very similar to Lombard chiacchiere, Emilian frappe, Tuscan cenci or Piedmontese bugie that is fried pastries. All these sweets can also be baked. You can see baked crostoli in the photo. Otherwise I would never put them on a linen napkin. =_^
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 250g (8 3/4 ounces) all-purpose flour plus extra for dusting
- 1 egg
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) granulated sugar
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) unsalted butter
- Vanilla powder
- Fat or peanut oil for frying
- Icing sugar for dusting
preparation: 40 minutes
plus resting time for dough
cooking: 30 minutes
total time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 329 (kcal) 17 % GDA (*)- 1375 (kJ)
Protein: 8.6 (g) 12 % GDA
Total fat: 1.7 (g) 3 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 74.4 (g) 28 % GDA
Sugars: 25.9 (g) 29 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (137 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Recipe for crostoli, Carnival pastries from Trentino
Preparation and cooking
- - Beat egg with sugar in a large bowl until you have a cream.
- - At this point pour melted butter into your egg-and-sugar mixture and stir with a wooden spoon.
- - Add a pinch of salt, vanilla powder. Then it's the turn of flour, slowly through a strainer.
You have to obtain a soft dough.
- - Take this dough and put it on a lightly floured surface.
Continue kneading, at least 10 minutes.
- - Shape into a ball and sprinkle with flour.
Cover with a napkin and let it rest, about 30 minutes.
- - Then roll out your dough on lightly floured surface, beginning from the center, to a thickness of 0.2cm (1/8in).
- - Cut your dough into thin strips and then make ribbons in different ways with these strips.
Look at the photo for more details.
- - Fry them in abundant oil in a non-stick frying pan until they are golden on both sides.
- - Transfer them on absorbent kitchen paper in order to remove the excess of fat.
Just before serving
- - Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve hot or cold.
Accompany with a sweet wine from Italy.
- - These fried pastries are ideal if you have to plan a party for your childen. In fact their dough has no wine or liqueur.
But I assure you even adults like them very much.
- - Calories, fat and sugar that you can read in the nutrition facts per serving are related to baking and not to frying method. It is better not to show figures that can not be sure, since no one can determine exactly how much oil is absorbed in frying. Remember the amount of oil is a very significant figure in calculating calories. Some people say that we should add 100 to 150 calories per 100 grams of fried food.
- - Another recommendation. Do not fry frequently and prefer fried food made at home. At least you can choose good-quality oil and throw it after using it once.
What's the right wine for " Carnival knots, Trentino style "?
Pair a red sweet wine such Freisa Amabile from Piedmont - Italy to these sweet fritters.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1