Strudel di mele
Apple strudel Our original home cooking
Apple strudel is a recipe to do in fall and winter because the main ingredients are fruits such as apples and sometimes pears as in this case. Strudel has fewer calories than other Italian desserts. Choose apple strudel for your menus without any hesitation because everyone really likes it very much. In addition to this classic recipe with homemade pasta read also my easy-and-quick-to-do strudel version with phyllo dough. Link below!
Ingredients / Serves 12
- 1kg (2.2 pounds) Golden Reinette apples
- 500g (1.1 pound) Bosc pears
- 40g (1 1/2 ounce) sugar
- Powdered cinnamon
- 200g (7 ounces) all-purpose flour plus more for dusting
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 8g (1/3 ounce) baking powder
- 30g (1 ounce) unsalted butter
preparation: 30 minutes
cooking: 50 minutes
total: 1h 20 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 156 (kcal) 8 % GDA (*)- 651 (kJ)
Protein: 2.7 (g) 6 % GDA
Total fat: 5.2 (g) 8 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 25.8 (g) 10 % GDA
Sugars: 13.2 (g) 15 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (142 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Apple strudel recipe
- - Peel and slice apples and pears.
- - Put all your fruit in a large bowl.
- - Add sugar and then cinnamon according to your own taste.
- - Stir accurately and with delicacy.
- - Put fruit apart.
- - Mix flour and baking powder.
- - Put this mixture on the work surface and make a well in its center.
- - Beat egg after adding a pinch of salt.
- - Put olive oil and beaten egg in the well.
- - Begin to work flour and other ingredients directly in the well.
- - Add some warm water if necessary.
- - Knead your dough.
- - Roll it out very thin.
- - Line a baking pan with baking paper.
- - Place your dough on the baking pan.
- - Spread apples and pears evenly, leaving dough edge free.
- - Cut butter into flakes.
- - Distribute all flakes on fruit mixture.
- - Roll up all like a sausage.
- - Make some cuts on its surface as you can see on the photo.
- - Put baking pan in cold oven (180°C - 350°F).
- - Switch on oven.
- - Cook your apple strudel, about 50 minutes.
- - Spoon apple strudel surface with its liquid now and then.
- - Once cooked, turn off oven and let apple strudel rest in, about 10 minutes.
- - Then take it away from oven and transfer it into a serving platter.
just before serving
- - Serve our strudel cold or warm, cut into slices.
- - This is the recipe for the apple strudel my mother has always made at home when I was a child. It was our breakfast and snack in the afternoon. But my brothers asked for apple strudel in special occasions too. Then our appple strudel turned into a richer cake with a filling made of apples, pears, walnuts or almonds, sultanas and sometimes grated dark chocolate.
- - My memories ... My mother used egg shell to measure olive oil. Half a shell. Does someone reading share the same memories? However, very practical, is not it?
- - My mother sometimes changed strudel filling. Only apples flavored with grated rind of untreated lemon and sugar. In some cases a cinnamon pinch too. The choice is yours.
- - There are a lot of variants to this recipe, sometimes with more fat and sugars. They're OK when you have to prepare a dessert to close a full menu.
- - You can also make your dough for apple strudel with other ingredients and other doses. More about that another time.
- - Apple strudel with these ingredients and doses is perfect for a healthy breakfast and/or a snack in the afternoon for your children. It's okay for your children even grown, including husbands ;))))
- - You can prepare this apple strudel to close a lunch or dinner with your friends. In this case enrich its filling as I've just told you. Apple strudel is ideal for rustic menus.
Useful links for this recipe
- - Interested in apple strudel with phyllo dough too?
- - Sweets should not be eaten frequently. If eaten, your favorite desserts should be without custard and cream and with a little sugar. Your preference should be for dry cakes except for special occasions. In other words, bakery products rich in fiber and starch. So this recipe of mine is OK for children and adults. Here is why.
In this strudel dough there is no sugar. The only sugar, although little, is used to flavor apples.
The main ingredient is the fruit, rich in fiber.
- - This apple strudel has 3.0 grams of fiber per head. I remind you that the recommended daily intake of fber is 23.0 grams per adult with a balance of 2000 kcal per day according the European guide.
- - A specific recommendation to mothers. Do not give your children strudel accompanied with a can of tea or Coca Cola. Think about this: a tin of orange drink has about 33 grams of sugar and a Cola beverage can also reach 35 to 39 grams. In the nutrition facts you can read 2 servings per a tin of 12 fl. oz. But are you sure your child drinks only half a tin alone? All the benefit of a single portion of this apple strudel that has only 13.2 grams of sugar would go to hell. Besides keep in mind that sugars should constitute only 10% to 15% of the daily calorie intake. In other words 56 - 84 grams. The limit dose of sugar per day is only 50 grams according to WHO. It's true that children can introduce more sugar but it is a moment to reach the maximum. This does not mean banning the consumption of soft drinks but moderating them.
What drink or sparkling wine for for " Apple strudel "?
If you eat this apple strudel for breakfast or snack in the afternoon my tip is a glass of milk for children and scented tea for adults (black tea enriched with orange and cinnamon for example).
If you serve this apple strudel at the end of a lunch or dinner in a full menu you can serve a glass of Asti Moscato or Brachetto especially if you have added a little grated chocolate in the filling.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1