Gnocchi di semolino alla romana
Baked semolina gnocchi, Roman-style Traditional recipe
This dish of semolina gnocchi is typical of Roman cuisine and is a recipe for lovers of butter, milk and cheese. It is simple to do and delicious also the next day. Ideal for your Sunday family lunch in every season.
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) unsalted butter
- 1 liter (4 1/4 cups) whole milk
- 250g (8 3/4 ounces) semolina
- 120g (4 1/4 ounces) Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
- 2 egg yolks
- A pinch ground nutmeg
preparation: 25 minutes
plus cooling time
cooking: 50 minutes
total: 1 hour 15 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 703 (kcal) 36 % GDA (*)- 2940 (kJ)
Protein: 27.0 (g) 54 % GDA
Total fat: 41.1 (g) 59 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 60.1 (g) 23 % GDA
Sugars: 13.2 (g) 15 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (37 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Recipe for baked semolina gnocchi, Rome-style
Preparation and cooking
- - In a saucepan, combine milk, nutmeg, salt and a knob of butter.
Bring to a boil.
- - Reduce heat to medium, and immediately start adding semolina slowly, whisking constantly.
Remember your mixture must be smooth.
Cook, about 15 to 20 minutes, stirring continuously, to avoid any lumps.
- - Turn off the stove. Add both yolks and half the Parmigiano Reggiano.
Stir very well.
- - Transfer your mixture, still hot, into one or more baking dishes, slightly moistened.
Level the surface with a spatula.
Let it cool very well, even overnight.
- - Use a 2- to 3-inch round cookie cutter or a glass to cut disks of your mixture.
- - Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- - Melt remaining butter on very low heat.
- - Butter a shallow baking dish.
Arrange semolina gnocchi in a layer, overlapping them slightly.
Sprinkle with some melted butter and Parmigiano Reggiano.
Continue with another gnocchi layer and sprinkle with remaining melted butter and Parmigiano Reggiano.
- - Bake until golden, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Just before serving
- - Serve your baked semolina gnocchi at once.
- - Baked semolina gnocchi is a perfect one-plate meal for your family menu. It is enough to look at its nutrition facts ;))
Vegetarian recipe for all family, kids included, that you can do all year long.
- - If you choose this dish for a full menu, it can serve even 8, because every serving will be smaller.
- - Baked semolina gnocchi is a dish rich in calories and fat. To reduce calories and fat, you have to use half milk and replace whole milk with skimmed one. Then add water to have 1 liter. You could reduce Parmigiano Reggiano too. Look at the nutrition facts only with half milk, skimmed.
energy: 588 kcal (2459 kJ)
toral fat 32.2g
total carbohydrates: 54.7g
- - Fiber per serving: 2.3 grams
What's the right wine for " Baked semolina gnocchi, Roman-style " ?
Match a fruitywhite wine.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1