Pane di kamut
Homemade kamut bread Our original home cooking
The buns you see in the picture are home made with kamut flour, olive oil, fresh yeast, salt and water. To limit the amount of yeast and prevent you can feel its acid aftertaste I use two leavenings. They certainly lengthen preparation time, but I assure you that it's worth it.
Ingredients for 16 buns
- 500g (1.1 pounds) kamut flour plus more for dusting
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 5g (0.2 ounce) fresh yeast
- 250ml + 180ml (8 1/2 plus 6 3/4 fluid ounces) lukewarm water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
preparation: 30 minutes
plus leavening time
cooking: 15 minutes
total time: 45 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 145 (kcal) 8 % GDA (*)- 605 (kJ)
Protein: 6.1 (g) 13 % GDA
Total fat: 2.1 (g) 4 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 25.7 (g) 10 % GDA
Sugars: 0.8 (g) 1 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (67 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Kamut bread recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - The first leavening.
Mix fresh yeast with 180ml (6 3/4 fluid ounces) lukewarm water and all-purpose flour.
You must have a homogeneous mixture.
Cover and let it leaven, more than an hour.
- - Prepare kamut bread dough.
Place kamut flour on the work surface and make a well inside.
Add olive oil and salt.
Begin pouring in part of lukewarm water and mix it with olive oil and kamut flour, working inside the well.
Add your leavened mixture too and continue mixing all ingredients.
Surely, you'll have to add remaining lukewarm water but since it is impossible to define a right amount it is better to add it a little at a time.
Knead for a long time in order to obtain a homogeneous and soft dough, at least 5 minutes.
In some cases you'll have to add other kamut flour too.
- - Give a shape to your bread.
Divide your dough into 16 pieces and give each the shape of a bun, working with your floured hands.
Line some baking pans with oven paper and sprinkle with flour.
Arrange your buns there and let them leaven.
It's difficult to say the right time you need. Let them double their volume, at least.
- - Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
Bake, about 15 minutes.
- - Look at the video for more details. There are subtitles in English.
Just before serving
- - I have the habit to freeze my bread once cooled.
So I remove my servings an hour before my dinner and heat them up in the oven at 90°C (190°F) just before serving, some minutes.
- - Generally, I prepare 16 buns that is 16 servings.
I prefer to make bread by hands rather than using bread machine. In fact in the second case bread has definitely a more dense texture and you are likely to eat more.
- - Kamut has a higher energy content compared to wheat. Kamut is recommended to people who have a very active life (for example, children and sportsmen) thanks to its greater amount of protein and fat.
I prepare this bread occasionally to change the taste of bread and vary my family feeding plan.
- - Fiber per serving: 9.7 grams
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1