Pasta fredda con sgombri
Pasta salad with mackerels Our original home cooking
Pasta salad with mackerel and tomatoes is a recipe of mine, a tasty one-plate meal you can make in summer or for a meal, buffet-style all year. Its ingredients are: good-quality pasta, mackerel, ripe tomatoes, aromatics, balsamic vinegar, olive oil. I made several attempts before finding the right doses. Now I'm satisfied. I've already written the same thing about pasta salad with sardines ;) Read below: directions, menu planning, nutrition notes and paired wine.
Ingredients / Serves 2
- 160g (5.6 ounces) short pasta (penne, rotini, macaroni ...)
- 1 (about g200 - 7 ounces) mackerel, medium size
- 400g (14 ounces) ripe but firm tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons dried chives
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- White vinegar
preparation: 25 minutes
plus cooling time
cooking: 40 minutes
total: 50 minutes
- Nutrition Facts (amount per serving):
Calories: 557 (kCal) 28 % GDA (*) - 2329 (kJ)
Protein: 24.3 (g) 33 % GDA
Total fat: 20.4 (g) 30 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 72.9 (g) 27 % GDA
Sugars: 13.0 (g) 15 % GDA
Recipe for pasta salad with mackerels
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare your mackerel.
Steam the mackerel until tender.
If you want, you can add a bit of white vinegar to the water.
When cold, remove its fishbone and skin and reduce its meat into pieces.
- - Prepare tomatoes.
Boil tomatoes for a minute in order to peel them better.
When cold, remove their peel and seeds and dice their pulp.
- - Prepare the pasta you've chosen.
Cook your pasta al dente stage in abundant salt water.
Drain your pasta and run under cold water in order to stop cooking, drain again.
- - The last step.
Put your pasta, mackerel and tomato pieces, aromatic herbs, balsamic vinegar and olive oil in a large bowl.
Season to taste with salt and stir with delicacy.
Just before serving
- - Let your pasta salad cool very well and serve at least after 30 minutes.
- - Keep in a cool place until serving. Don't chill. This pasta salad could become indigestible.
- - For the same reason prepare and eat this pasta salad in the same day.
- - You can use fresh aromatic herbs for a tastier dish.
- - My husband and I prefer to choose very ripe tomatoes.
We peel them without boiling and so we preserve all their nutritive properties.
- - Serve this pasta salad with mackerel and tomatoes as one-plate meal for your Sunday lunch or weekday lunch if you have enough time or prepare it all year for a special menu (a fish barbecue, a celebration meal, buffet-style ...). In the second case the doses are enough for more people.
Useful links for this recipe
- - Want to know why this pasta salad is one-plate meal? read more on our blog.
- - Here's the recipe for cold pasta with sardines about which I've just written on my introduction
- - Note the amount of calories and the combination of its ingredients. It can be only one-plate meal. Complete your meal with fresh seasonal vegetable if you are still hungry and fruit.
I remember you pasta should be eaten preferably at lunch and the calories eaten at lunch should be 500 - 700 (30 - 35% of energy needs for an adult if his daily needs are about 2000 calories and he correctly divides his calories into 5 micro-meals).
Here are the doses per head to personalize your shopping list: 70 to 80g (2.5 to 2.8 ounces) pasta, half a little mackerel (about 100g - 3 1/2 ounces), 2 or 3 ripe tomatoes, aromatic herbs and 2 teaspoons olive oil.
- - For an healthier recipe use whole-meal or emmer pasta as you can see in the photo.
- - Be careful to the choice of dinner menu. Control the protein amount.
- - If you want to drink a glass of wine remember you have to add 80-85 kCal per 100 ml.
- - I remember you my original home recipes can be made without salt; there is a combination of flavors that substitutes salt.