Insalata gamberi e mango
Prawn and mango salad Our original home cooking
Pairing mango and prawn is not new in cooking but what I'm going to tell you is my own version of a particular and simple recipe that is becoming very fashionable in Italy. Who knows how long this so trendy combination will take to disappear from cooking magazine? Once, shrimp cocktail was highly popular but now, if you have dinner in the most popular restaurants you can't find it listed in their menu cards any longer. It became an outdated, slighted recipe. The same thing will happen to prawn and mango salad however you may prepare it. I'm sure. But in the meantime we can enjoy it at home :))
Ingredients / Serves 2
- 250g (8 3/4 ounces) frozen prawns, shelled
- 1 350g (12 1/3 ounces) ripe mango
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Some sprigs fresh chives
preparation: 15 minutes
plus thawing tme for prawns
cooking: 5 minutes
total: 20 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 382 (kcal) 20 % GDA (*)- 1597 (kJ)
Protein: 22.2 (g) 45 % GDA
Total fat: 23.7 (g) 34 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 21.2 (g) 8 % GDA
Sugars: 21.2 (g) 24 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (49 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Recipe for mango-and-prawn salad
Preparation and cooking
- - Thaw prawns following the instructions on the package.
Follow the tip for the use in kitchen too. You'll need cooked prawns.
- - Clean mango.
Peel the fruit that must be ripe.
Cut the pulp that surrounds the central part that is rather woody.
The more your fruit is ripe, the more you have available pulp.
Cut mango pulp into pieces.
- - Prepare chives.
Wash chives quickly and then pat dry with absorbent kitchen paper.
- - Put mango, prawns, mayonnaise, olive oil in a bowl.
Cut in chives with scissors.
Season to taste with salt and stir with delicacy.
- - Chill until serving.
Just before serving
- - I have always served this salad cool, not cold. Therefore I remove it from the refrigerator at least 15 minutes before serving.
- - I begin with prawns. I confess I have always prepared this simple salad with frozen prawns. Good-quality products are now available everywhere. In this case, I find them very useful. So I use frozen prawns for me and my husband when in summer there is no desire to turn on the stove and I use the same frozen prawns when I have guests all year :)
And when I have guests, any help that can make me save time is welcome!
If prawns need to be cooked, I blanch them for a few seconds in boiling water when they are thawed. In any case, I always follow carefully the instructions on the package. So in the preparation time keep in mind their thawing too.
The only precaution, if I have to cook prawns, is to drain tham very well after cooking, let them cool and then pat dry before adding them to mango.
- - The success of this dish depends on the degree of ripeness of mango and it is not easy to choose it. It should not be hard to the touch but soft. Its color should definitely turn on red-orange and not green or greenish. If you still find it hard, keep it out of the fridge waiting for it gives ripe.
- - Mango-and-prawn salad is very easy to do and you can prepare it in advance and chill until serving. If you have any leftovers you can keep it in the refrigerator and eat the day after. Nothing like that ever happened to me!!!
- - Normally, I prepare this cold salad with prawns and mango in summer as dinner for me and my husband Carlo. It's quick and easy to make, a real help in the kitchen when it's hot. At most there is to blanch prawns. The suggested doses are valid for this case.
- - On the contrary if you want to serve it in a full menu, when you have guests, it serves at least 6.
It can be perfect combined with other tidbits in an assorted antipasto platter for a fish menu.
Prepare it for a meal, buffet-style too.
Another idea is to serve it for a drunch, that is a get-together with friends that starts in the afternoon with a lot of snacks and turns into dinner.
- - Cholesterol does not appear in nutrition facts per serving but it is the real sticking point of this recipe. It is 198mg per head. The daily consumption must not exceed the value of 300mg. So watch out! especially for those who suffer from dyslipidemia.
- - Mango is a good source of vitamin A and discreet for vitamin C. It also seems to have antibiotic activity.
- - Fiber per serving: 2.2 grams.
What's the right wine for " Prawn and mango salad "?
My husband Carlo and I like to pair a good Prosecco to this recipe with mango and prawns. This wine is also ideal when you decide to prepare this salad for your meal, buffet-style or for your antipasto to open a full menu.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1