Friselle pugliesi con pomodoro e tonno
Apulian friselle topped with tomatoes, tuna and onion Traditional recipe
Friselle is a typical dish of Salento in Puglia but you can see it all over Italy and in the world. They have a particular shape and are made of hard wheat or barley. I often use whole meal friselle. Friselle recipe is quick and easy to do and you can also consider it a way to empty your fridge too ; ) Mediterranean diet recipe. Summer recipe to be served cold. It requires no cooking.
Ingredients / Serves 2
- 4 (175g - 6 ounces) durum wheat friselle
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) red onion
- 250g (8.8 ounces) ripe tomatoes
- 1 160g (5.6 ounces) can tuna in oil
- Some basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
preparation: 20 minutes
plus soaking time
cooking: not required
total: 20 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 591 (kcal) 30 % GDA (*)- 2471 (kJ)
Protein: 24.0 (g) 48 % GDA
Total fat: 23.8 (g) 34 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 74.8 (g) 28 % GDA
Sugars: 11.1 (g) 13 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (63 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Recipe for friselle with tomatoes, onion and tuna
- - The first thing to do is to wet the Friselle. Follow the link for my tips, but Irecommend you to follow the package directions.
- - Drain tuna in oil well and divide it into small pieces with a fork.
- - Prepare tomatoes. Wash, pat dry with a towel and chop them. Do not remove their vegetation water.
- - Slice onion.
- - Wash basil leaves and pat dry with a towel.
- - Spread half the olive oil on friselle. Season to taste with salt.
Transfer tomatoes, onion and tuna on their top.
Spread the remaining olive oil. Season to taste with salt, if necessary. Garnish with basil.
Just before serving
- - Your friselle dish is ready to serve.
- - This is my very quick to do recipe for friselle. My family and friends like it very much. Other versions below!
Obviously variations can be endless. You can rub a clove of garlic on friselle once soaked as you do with bruschetta. You can use pepper, paprika, oregano, chives, mint, olive oil flavored with chili ... You can add a few drops of vinegar. I really like balsamic vinegar on friselle.
- - Use ripe tomatoes and red onions (I prefer young onions).
- - You can prepare this recipe with stale bread but be careful to soak it. It needs only a few drops of water.
- - This is a perfect one-plate meal in the hot summer days when you can find ripe tomatoes and do not turn on the stove.
Useful links for this recipe
- - Here are two links if you want to buy friselle on Internet but remember that they can be found on Eataly shops too. Agricola del Sole, Selecto.
- - Are you interested in more details about history and wet method for friselle? follow the link!
- - You can lower the amount of fat and therefore calories using tuna in brine. The nutritional values change as you can read below.
energy: 530 kcal (2218 kJ)
total fat: 17.3g
- - Fiber per serving: 7.9 grams
What's the right wine for " Apulian friselle topped with tomatoes, tuna and onion "?
Matche a white or rosé wine according to your own taste. Chilly, possibly. And enjoy your friselle :))
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1