Risotto al radicchio
Chicory risotto Our original home cooking
I'm going to show you how I make red chicory risotto (risotto with radicchio) at home with few ingredients. Simple-to do recipe for your daily menu in fall and winter. Calories too.
Ingredients / Serves 2
- 120g (4 1/4 ounces) "Treviso radicchio" (red chicory)
- 60g (2.1 ounces) bacon, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 tablespoon fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 750ml (1.6 pint) vegetable stock
- 200ml (6 3/4 fluid ounces - 1/2 plus 1/3 cup) red wine
- 1 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 150g (5 1/3 ounces) long-grain, parboiled rice
preparation: 20 minutes
cooking: 30 minutes
total: 50 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 449 (kcal) 23 % GDA (*)- 1881 (kJ)
Protein: 12.4 (g) 25 % GDA
Total fat: 18.7 (g) 27 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 61.7 (g) 23 % GDA
Sugars: 0.9 (g) 1 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (126 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Recipe for radicchio risotto
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare radicchio.
Clean and wash radicchio.
Cut it into thin strips.
- - Meanwhile ...
... prepare vegetable stock.
- - Cooking risotto.
Place olive oil and radicchio into a large saucepan.
Cover and simmer, about 10 minutes.
Stir in rice and cook, 2 minutes.
Then pour in red wine and simmer until absorbed, stirring occasionally.
At this point add 2 ladlefuls of stock and simmer until absorbed, stirring now and then.
Continue adding stock, ladle by ladle, until rice is tender.
Just before turning off the stove, add aromatic herbs and bacon.
Just before stirring
- - Let your risotto with radicchio rest for a couple of minutes and serve.
- - Who prefers stronger flavors can use smoked bacon and/or add a little onion to the ingredients.
- - Freshly grated Parmesan cheese can be sprinkled over risotto when it is ready.
- - For a low-fat recipe you can avoid bacon. In this case you can add more dried herbs. Your risotto will be equaly good.
- - Risotto with radicchio is very simple to do. I consider it a plate of the cooler months, typical for my autumn and winter menus. But I never serve it in formal menus and when I don't know the tastes of my guests well. It isn't said everyone likes radicchio.
- - Risotto with radicchio is one-plate meal. Complete your meal only with fresh seasonal fruit.
- - Fiber per serving: 1.7 grams
What's the right wine for " Chicory risotto "?
My husband and I like to match to red chicory risotto Valpolicella (red wine from Veneto - Italy).
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1