Risotto vegetariano con carciofi
Vegetarian risotto with artichokes Our original home cooking
Artichoke risotto is a seasonal recipe for spring. You can make it when you can find artichokes easily, from March to May. This is a very simple recipe I usually make at home and so I have been tested it more times. besides it is an authentic Mediterranean recipe provided you use brown rice as recommended!
Ingredients / Serves 2
- 400g (14 ounces) artichokes with thorns
- 250g (8 3/4 ounces) leek, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 800ml (1 2/3 pint - 3 1/3 cup) vegetable stock
- 160g (5 1/3 ounces) long-grain parboiled rice
- 200ml (6 3/4 fluid ounces - 1/2 plus 1/3 cup) beer
preparation: 20 minutes
cooking: 30 minutes
total time: 50 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 402 (kcal) 21 % GDA (*)- 1684 (kJ)
Protein: 9.8 (g) 20 % GDA
Total fat: 10.5 (g) 16 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 71.7 (g) 27 % GDA
Sugars: 6.5 (g) 8 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (110 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Artichoke risotto recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare artichokes.
Begin snapping off the stalk close to the base, pulling out any fiber which would extend into the bottom.
Cut off the pointed top and, using kitchen scissors, trim all leaves to remove spines and any brown edges.
Cut every artichokes in quarters and plunge them in lemon water. Artichokes are ready to be cooked.
Finally cut them into very thin slices but just before putting them in the pan.
- - Meanwhile prepare vegetable stock.
I usually boil carrot, onion, celery and a lot of aromatic herbs in a plenty of salt water, 20 minutes.
Then I strain my stock through a sieve and keep it boiling while cooking my risotto.
- - Cook risotto.
Put olive oil in a large saucepan, add leek and artichokes.
Sauté all ingredients on low heat, stirring now and then.
Add rice and cook until milky, about 2 to 3 minutes.
Pour in beer and simmer until absorbed, stirring now and then.
At this point add aromatic herbs and 2 ladlefuls of vegetable stock and simmer until absorbed, stirring now and then.
Continue adding boiling stock, ladle by ladle, until rice is tender.
Vegetable stock must be well reduced.
Season to taste with salt only if necessary.
Just before serving
- - Serve artichoke risotto after a couple of minutes.
- - Use fresh aromatic herbs if you have enough time to clean, wash and chop them.
- - You can make this risotto recipe all year if you use frozen artichokes. Let them thaw completely before using.
- - It isn't possible to match wine to artichokes. So we use beer cooking this recipe.
- - Obviously, artichoke risotto made with few ingredients is a dish for your weekly menu in spring.
Useful link for this recipe
- - If you want to learn more about artichokes consult their page.
- - This is a vegan recipe if you use our ingredients. Anyway it is a healthy food for the presence of artichokes. Read about their nutrition value in the page I've just suggested in the previous paragraph. Besides it's a low fat and calorie recipe according to the Mediterranean diet.
- - If you want you can add 1 to 2 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese.
- - It is a recipe without tomato and so it's perfect for people who have tomato intollerance or allergy.
What's the right wine for " Vegetarian risotto with artichokes "?
Pair the same beer you've used to cook risotto.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1