Riso al forno avvolto nel prosciutto
Baked rice dish with raw ham Our original home cooking
This rice timbale is very simple to do. You just have to prepare a risotto with very few ingredients and then put it in shape in a mold in which you have placed ham slices. You can prepare it in advance. It is very tasty and nice to see, right? Ideal for your invitations.
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 150g (5 1/3 ounces) raw ham, finely sliced
- 320g (11 1/3 ounces) long-grain, parboiled rice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 little young onion, finely chopped
- 600ml (1 1/4 pints - 2 1/2 cups) vegetable stock
- 200ml (6 3/4 fluid ounces - 1/2 plus 1/3 cup) red wine
preparation: 20 minutes
cooking: 40 minutes
total time: 1 hour
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 455 (kcal) 23 % GDA (*)- 1905 (kJ)
Protein: 18.0 (g) 36 % GDA
Total fat: 15.5 (g) 23 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 65.0 (g) 25 % GDA
Sugars: 0.2 (g) 1 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (122 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Recipe for rice timbale with ham
Preparation and cooking
- - Begin with risotto.
Prepare vegetable stock following the instructions on the cube package.
Remember to keep your stock boiling while you're cooking risotto.
Put 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, onion and rice in a saucepan.
Cook until rice looks milky, stirring frequently, 3 to 4 minutes.
Pour in wine and simmer until absorbed, stirring now and then.
At this point add 2 ladlefuls of vegetable stock and simmer until absorbed, stirring.
Continue adding stock, ladle by ladle, until rice is "al dente" stage.
Remember that your risotto must be cooked in the oven too!
- - Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- - Grease a pudding mould with remaining olive oil and lay the slices of raw ham on it allowing them to flow over the edges.
Spoon risotto in the mold, level its surface and cover with the flowing slices of ham.
Bake, 15 to 20 minutes.
Just before serving
- - Take away your mold from the oven and let rice timbale rest for some minutes.
Then turn it out, slice thickly and serve immediately.
- - Choose a good-quality rice that must not overcook.
- - You can prepare the dish in advance and complete cooking in the oven jus before serving; this is a great thing when you have guests ;))
- - If it's the right season, you can use fresh aromatic herbs: your dish will be excellent!
- - You can prepare vegetable stock by boiling carrot, celery and onion and then filtering the liquid. Or you can use chicken stock, for a stronger flavor.
- - I have sometimes distributed my risotto in single-serving molds. It's better in formal occasions.
- - You could replace Parmesan cheese with two egg yolks if you or your guests do not like cheese or are intolerant to cheese.
- - If you want, you can use cotto ham.
- - This rice timbale is ideal for your family Sunday lunch or your get-togethers with friends or relatives because you can prepare it in advance.
- - Choose it for a formal Italian-style dinner menu too.
- - If you prepare this rice timbale for your family menu, keep in mind this must be your main dish. To balance your meal you have to prepare vegetables, raw or cooked, for example a seasonal salad.
Limit its dressing not to exceed in calories and fats. In fact a tablespoon of olive oil has 90 calories and 10 grams of fat.
- - Fiber per serving: 0.2 grams. Practically non-existent. You can easily imagine why.
What's the right wine for " Baked rice dish with raw ham "?
The best wine to pair to this rice timbale is Grignolino from Monferrato Casalese (red wine from Piedmont).
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1