Frittata con cime di rapa
Ricotta & turnip top frittata Our original home cooking
Ingredients / Serves 4
- A bunch of turnip tops (turnip greens), already cooked
- 200 g (7 1/4oz) chicken and turkey pr pork sausage
- 250 g (8 3/4oz) fresh ricotta
- 2 tablespoons dried chives
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 eggs
preparation: 15 minutes
cooking: 40-45 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 403 (kcal) 21 % GDA (*)- 1686 (kJ)
Protein: 22.8 (g) 46 % GDA
Total fat: 32.8 (g) 47 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 4.3 (g) 2 % GDA
Sugars: 4.3 (g) 5 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (98 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
This frittata (omelette) with turnip tops is a satisfying maindish. Serve it with a green salad or raw vegetables in season. However, you may serve it in other ways as outlined in the note.
It's one-plate meal for the presence of protein-rich foods: eggs, cheese and sausage. These three key ingredients are added to a certain amount of vegetables, in this case typically winter vegetables such as turnip greens.
Here's the recipe!
Prepare the mixture with vegetables, cheese and sausage. Chop finely the turnip tops.
Peel the sausage and mash it. Put the turnip tops, sausage and aromatic herbs in a bowl and stir very well.
Put 2 tablespoons olive oil in a frying pan and add the mixture you’ve just prepared. Let it fry on a medium heat, stirring now and then. Switch off the gas and add the ricotta cheese; stir very well. Put apart.
Prepare the eggs. Meanwhile preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) and grease a deep baking pan with the remaining olive oil.
Separate the whites from their yolks. Beat the whites until stiff after adding a pinch of salt.
Season to taste with salt the yolks, beat them with a wooden spoon, add to the mixture of vegetable, sausage and cheese and stir very well.
At this point fold in the beaten whites in circular movements from the bottom upwards, using a wooden spoon.
Bake the frittata. Pour the mixture into the baking pan and bake for 20-30 minutes or until the surface is golden.Serve warm.
- - This frittata is more digestible than the classic frittata fried in oil. But it isn't a low fat recipe. In fact its main ingredients (cheese, eggs and sausage) are rich in fat.
- - You can use pork sausage instead of turkey and chicken sausage.
- - You can serve it as appetizer or starter (cubed, it serves 6 or more people) accompanied by some salami slices (nice idea for a get-together) as you can see on the photo. But you can serve it as a main dish (it serves 4) accompanied by green salad or raw vegetables.
- - You can use no salt if you have a low-salt diet; the sausage and aromatic herbs make this dish tasty.
- - You need 600 g (1lb and 5 1/4oz) fresh turnip tops to have the right amount for this recipe. If you don't find turnip tops, you can substitute them with spinach.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1