Carciofi ripieni di gamberi e piselli
Artichokes stuffed with shrimps and peas Our original home cooking
Artichokes are delicious if paired with peas. Shrimps combined with peas are yummy. Even shrimps accompanied with artichokes taste fantastic. So why not try it all together? These stuffed artichokes are really delicious! Particularly suitable to menus for your special occasions. The only problem is the time required to prepare them. But it's really worth!
Ingredients / Serves 2
- 4 big artichokes
- 200g (7 ounces) frozen peas
- 200g (7 ounces) frozen shrimps, shelled
- 250g (8 3/4 ounces) leek
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 dried bay leaf
- Little bunch fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
preparation: 40 minutes
plus cooling time
cooking: 50 minutes
total: 1 hour 30 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 355 (kcal) 18 % GDA (*)- 1485 (kJ)
Protein: 30.7 (g) 62 % GDA
Total fat: 16.8 (g) 25 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 21.5 (g) 8 % GDA
Sugars: 16.2 (g) 18 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (25 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Recipe for artichokes stuffed with shrimps and peas
Preparation and cooking
- - Let shrimps thaw at room temperature.
- - Cook articokes.
Place artichokes, still whole, in a pot full of water to wash.
Then steam them, always whole, 20 minutes from when the water boils. But this time may be different depending on the size of artichokes.
Let artichokes cool.
- - Meanwhile ...
... cook peas and prepare filling.
Bring to a boil some water.
Chop leek and let it fry slightly in 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil together with bay leaf. Stir often on low heat.
Stir in peas to flavor.
Dilute tomato paste in a ladle of hot water and add to peas.
Pour in necessary water to cover.
Season to taste with salt and continue cooking, half-covered, until peas are tender.
Wash chives and absorb the excess of water with kitchen paper.
Just before turning off the stove, cut in chives and add all shrimps except 4 that are necessary to garnish, as you can see in the photo.
Put apart your pea-and-shrimp mixture.
- - Clean artichokes.
Cut off every stalk and remove the outer part that is always fibrous to reach the inner part. Chop and add to the filling.
Pull off all tough outer leaves until you reach the inner part that is more tender.
Cut about an inch off of the top of the artichoke, if not more.
Remove all very thin spiny leaves in the center and fuzzy choke (inedible), if present.
If the inner leaves are enough tender you can chop them and add to the filling.
- - Preaheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
Line a baking pan with oven paper and sprinkle with olive oil.
Fill your artichokes with pea-and-shrimp mixture and sprinkle with olive oil all around.
Bake, about 20 minutes.
Top with remaining prawns a few minutes before the end of cooking for garnishing and turn on the grill.
Just before serving
- - Remove baking pan from oven and sprinkle the top with olive oil.
Serve your artichokes warm.
- - When my husband took this photo I had used big globe artichokes but I also find very suitable artichokes with thorns. In this case, cut them lengthwise and leave a piece of stem. Same technique used for artichokes stuffed with ricotta and asparagus. The link to the recipe below.
- - Keep on hand a spray bottle filled with oil. It is very useful. For example for greasing oven paper and artichokes in this case. So you are able to use less olive oil ;))
- - Artichokes filled with prawns and peas are suitable for a spring full menu. Serve them as starter.
If you plan an Italian-style menu, you could also serve them between the first and second course. In both cases one artichoke per person.
- - If you like this recipe, serve them in your Sunday family menu. 2 artichokes per person.
Useful links for this recipe
- - Interested in recipe for artichokes stuffed with ricotta and asparagus?
- - I must immediately emphasize a thing. These stuffed artichokes are very tasty and you'll eat them willingly, surely! But they have a basic flaw. The simultaneous presence of two important sources of protein: shrimps and peas. Nutritionists invite us not to use the combination pulses with meat or fish. So choose it for a special full menu and not too frequently for your family menu.
- - Fiber per serving: 22,2 grams. Virtually the entire daily requirement.
What's the right wine for " Artichokes stuffed with shrimps and peas "?
My husband and I prefer a good-quality beer with artichokes.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 2