Funghi al pomodoro
Mushrooms in tomato sauce Traditional recipe
This is another way to cook mushrooms. Olive oil, garlic, tomato, mushrooms and parsley, these are the only ingredients you need. This side dish is very appetizing and is suitable for many different combinations. A typical dish of autumn and early summer when you find fresh mushrooms.
Ingredients / Serves 2
- 400g (14 ounces) fresh mushrooms
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) puréed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Pepper, if you like
preparation: 20 minutes
cooking: 25 minutes
total: 45 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 150 (kcal) 8 % GDA (*)- 627 (kJ)
Protein: 7.9 (g) 16 % GDA
Total fat: 11.4 (g) 17 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 4.0 (g) 2 % GDA
Sugars: 4.0 (g) 5 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (110 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Recipe for mushrooms in tomato sauce
- - Clean mushrooms.
You have to brush off any earth and wipe with damp kitchen paper.
Don't wash them under cold running water.
They may loose their smell.
Now you can slice fairly thickly or cube them.
- - Put olive oil and garlic cloves in a non-stick frying pan.
Sauté garlic cloves for a couple of minutes on a low heat.
Remove them and add mushrooms.
Increase the heat and sauté for a couple of minutes stirring now and then.
Then add puréed tomatoes and parsley.
Lower the heat and continue cooking, half-covered, stirring now and then until all cooking juice is well reduced.
You need about 20 minutes.
Add some hot vegetable stock only if necessary.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Just before serving
- - Stir, wait for 5 minutes and serve.
- - You can use wild or cultivated mushrooms. Follow the same recipe with frozen mushrooms. Sauté garlic, add purèed tomatoes, bring to the boil and then add frozen mushrooms and parsley. Continue cooking on high heat stirring now and then.
- - You can substitute fresh or dried parsley with calamint if you prefer.
- - For people who don't like garlic: sauté a little onion, finely chopped, in olive oil and then add mushrooms and parsley.
- - I also add a dried bay leaf. It tastes fantastic: I always cook mushrooms in tomato sauce in this way.
- - You can also freeze mushrooms in tomato sauce after cooking.
- - You can see mushrooms cooked in a crock pot as I used to do.
- - If you have to accompany mushrooms in tomato sauce with polenta you have to use more puréed tomatoes and not to reduce cooking juice too much. Read polenta and mushrooms too. Link below!
- - Mushrooms in tomato sauce is a perfect side dish for roast or grilled meat but you can serve it with grilled or baked fish too and even with eggs.
Useful links for this recipe
- - Interested in more details about mushrooms, their varieties and combination with other food?
- - Here the link for polenta & mushroom recipe
- - Read the page dedicated to mushrooms for other recipe ideas.
- - Mushrooms can be an excellent side dish as they have fewer calories. The important thing is to dress them appropriately. If you use cream or butter or simply increase the amount of olive oil nutrition facts can change radically
- - Fiber per serving: 5.6 grams (daily intake is 23 grams).
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1