Tortino di patate
Potato mould or Neapolitan gatto Traditional recipe
Ingredients / Serves 6
- 800 g (1 3/4 lb) potatoes
- 125 g (4 1/2oz) low fat yoghurt
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 100 g (3 1/2oz) boiled ham or Italian mortadella, sliced
- 125 g (4 1/2oz) mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- A pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Plain dried breadcrumbs
preparation: 20 minutes
cooking: about 60 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: XX (kcal) - XX (kJ)
Protein: XX (g)
Total fat: XX (g)
Total carbohydrate: XX (g)
Sugars: XX (g)
Download free PDF version (136 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
This is a traditional recipe (Neapolitan gatto) that is made all over Italy but especially in Naples; it's very tasty. We've made some variations; for example we
use yoghurt instead of butter so our dish is low fat.
Steam potatoes, peel and purée them when they are still hot. Put mashed potatoes in a bowl and add yoghurt and nutmeg. Beat the egg and egg yolk with a pinch of salt and chives; pour them into the bowl, season to taste with salt and stir accurately.
Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Oil a plumcake pan and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Make a first layer of dressed mashed potatoes and arrange half of ham slices and grated mozzarella cheese. Cover with a second layer of potatoes and the remaining of ham and cheese slices. Complete with the remaining potatoes. Level the surface with a spoon and sprinkle with plain dried breadcrumbs. Cook in the oven for about 30 minutes or until surface becomes golden.
Wait before serving; you could serve potato mould when it is lukewarm.
- - You can prepare this dish ahead.
- - We suggest you to grate mozzarella because so it melts very well and you can use less of it .
- - The original recipe is made with more fats. In fact mashed potatoes are dressed with a glass of milk, eggs, 1 tablespoon of grated Parmesan and butter; besides somebody adds slices of other cheeses (such as provola) between the potato layers.
- - This potato pie works as one-plate meal. Accompany it with a seasonal salad and fresh fruits.
- - In Italian, "gatto" has an accent over the O - gattò - and derives from the French word gateau.
What's the right wine for " Potato mould or Neapolitan gatto "?
Our suggestion is: Lagrein Rosč (from Trentino - Italy)
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1