Deep fried sweet peppers, Italy-style Traditional recipe from Abruzzo
Golden sweet peppers is a typical dish of some areas of Abruzzo in Italy. Sweet peppers are roasted to remove their skins and then rolled first in flour and then in beaten egg to be fried. It is certainly not a low-calorie recipe but it can be an alternative to accompany simple meat or fish dishes without sauces.
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 2 400g (14 ounces) sweet peppers
- 1 egg
- 30g (1 ounce) all-purpose flour
- Peanut oil for deep frying
preparation: 20 minutes
plus cooling time
cooking: 40 minutes
total: 1 hour
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: n.c. (kcal) - n.c. (kJ)
Protein: n.c. (g)
Total fat: n.c. (g)
Total carbohydrate: n.c. (g)
Sugars: n.c. (g)
Download free PDF version (108 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Deep fried sweet pepper recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare sweet peppers.
Arrange them on a rack on a foil-lined grill pan.
Grill and turn frequently until all sides are slightly charred and blistered.
Put them in a paper bag and let them cool; their stream trapped inside the bag helps loosen their skins. When sweet peppers are cool, peel off their charred skin, using your fingers or a small sharp knife, if necessary.
Cut out their stem and core, scarping out any seeds very well.
Slice into large pieces and season with salt.
- - Flour sweet pepper pieces.
Beaten your egg together with a pinch of salt.
Dip sweet pepper pieces first into all-purpose flour and then into beaten egg.
- - Deep fry sweet peppers.
Heat peanut oil in a non-stick frying pan.
Add sweet pepper pieces and fry them on both sides, about 2 minutes, until golden.
Just before serving
- - Serve your deep fried sweet peppers still hot.
- - You should always choose a good olive oil or a peanut oil to deep fry.
- - Deep fried sweet peppers are usually served as a side dish in Abruzzo but this is not a low calorie recipe. So I usually serve some pieces of them to accompany grilled meat or fish.
- - As it happens for all my deep fried dishes, you do not find its nutritional facts. I can calculate calories, proteins, carbohydrates ... of the ingredients (without the oil to fry) but it is very difficult to know the amount of oil absorbed in frying.
Therefore, I prefer to give here only the nutritional facts related to sweet peppers, egg and flour that is the main ingredients. Keep in mind that for every 100 grams of food, once fried, you should add about 150 calories per serving.
energy: 53 kcal (222 kJ)
total fat: 1.5g
total carbohydrate: 7.3g
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1