Antipasto di peperoni alla piemontese
Piedmontese sweet pepper starter Traditional recipe from Piedmont
This Piedmont-style sweet pepper starter is a typical dish in which you can easily recognize some culinary habits of this region. For example sweet peppers are cooked together with anchovies in salt, garlic, butter and milk. It is certainly not a low-calorie recipe and so is often served in small quantities as an appetizer or side dish.
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 4 (700g - 11/2 pounds) fleshy red and yellow sweet peppers
- 2 garlic cloves
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) anchovies in salt
- 150ml (5 fluid ounces) low-fat milk
- 25g (1ounce) salted butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
preparation: 15 minutes
cooking: 45 minutes
total: 1 hour
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 162 (kcal) 9 % GDA (*)- 679 (kJ)
Protein: 6.5 (g) 13 % GDA
Total fat: 11.6 (g) 17 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 8.4 (g) 4 % GDA
Sugars: 8.4 (g) 10 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (16 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Sweet pepper starter recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Remove all salt from anchovies and chop them.
- - Peel garlic cloves.
- - Clean and wash sweet peppers. Cut them into large strips.
- - Place olive oil, butter, garlic and anchovies in a pan.
- - Let all fry slightly, on a low heat.
Add some tablespoons milk to melt better anchovies, remove garlic and then add sweet peppers and remaining milk.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and continue cooking, half-covered, until sweet peppers are tender.
- - Season to taste with salt, if necessary.
Just before serving
- - Let sweet peppers rest for half an hour before serving.
Serve them warm topped with their cooking juice.
- - You can make this dish ahead.
- - The traditional recipe is richer in fat than my version. In fact many people in Piedmont use much more olive oil and butter but, generally, I prefer to control them.
- - This sweet pepper starter is a typical dish for your summer and early autumn menus.
- - Serve them as an Italian starter or as a side dish to accompany meat and fish without sauces.
- - To avoid surprises with calories, please, follow my recommended doses.
- - Fiber per serving: 2.7 grams
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1