Pomodori verdi fritti
Fried green tomatoes Traditional recipe
Fried green tomatoes became famous in Italy after the 1991 movie with the same name. This vegetarian recipe is very simple and tasty. Let's see together other details!
Ingredients / Serves 6
- 4 large, firm unripe tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices, ends removed
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 4 drops Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) cornmeal
- Peanut oil for frying
- Pepper, if you like
preparation: 20 minutes
cooking: 15 minutes
total: 35 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: n.c. (kcal) - n.c. (kJ)
Protein: n.c. (g)
Total fat: n.c. (g)
Total carbohydrate: n.c. (g)
Sugars: n.c. (g)
Download free PDF version (109 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Fried green tomato recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Beat egg in a bowl together with milk and tabasco sauce.
- - Combine cornmeal, thyme, ginger, salt and pepper (if you like) together in a dish.
- - Dip tomato slices in beaten egg and then dredge them in cornmeal mixture, coating both sides well.
- - Place a large cast iron skillet over medium heat and coat with oil.
When peanut oil is hot, pan-fry tomato slices until golden brown and crispy on both sides, about 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
Carefully remove tomatoes with a skimming ladle and drain on paper towels.
Just before erving
- - Serve hot.
- - You can serve fried green tomatoes cold too, depending on your own taste.
- - Serve fried green tomatoes as starter or side dish. The best time is autumn. It would be a crime for me to pick up unripe tomatoes in summer to make this recipe.
- - I've also prepared another recipe with them: a warm tomato pie. Prepare fried tomatoes (I baked them instead of frying for a low-fat recipe). Then spoon some tomato sauce on the bottom of a deep baking pan. Make a first layer with tomato slices and cover with tomato sauce and grated mozzarella cheese. Continue until all ingredients are used up (remember that your last layer must be topped with sauce mixed with mozzarella). Bake for 15 minutes at 180°C (350°F). It's too tasty and its flavor remembers eggplant Parmesan too.
- - You can not find calories, fat and sugar for this recipe. As with all deep fried food I have to point out that it is practically impossible to determine the actual amount of oil absorbed by the food cooked in this manner. I prefer to put the initials n.c. (not calculated). It is more serious. Keep in mind that each tablespoon of oil adds 90 calories. This figure speaks for itself. On the other hand in this recipe it is just the oil that makes the lion's share :))
- - I remind you that the best oil for frying is peanut oil and it would be better not to abuse of fried food.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1