Sformatini con fiori di zucchine
Zucchini blossom mini flans Our original home cooking
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 60 g (2 1/4oz) zucchini (courgette) flowers (blossoms)
- 1 400 g (14 1/4oz) can beans
- Some sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Little bunch fresh chives
- 4 anchovy fillets in oil
- 1 tablespoon capers in vinegar
- 2 quail eggs
- 30 g (1 1/4oz) stale bread
- 5 tablespoons plain dried breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
preparation: 25 minutes
cooking: 30 minutes
total: 55 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 184 (kcal) 10 % GDA (*)- 772 (kJ)
Protein: 8.1 (g) 17 % GDA
Total fat: 6.6 (g) 10 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 24.1 (g) 9 % GDA
Sugars: 1.4 (g) 2 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (138 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Zucchini blossom mini flans (or courgette flower mini flans) are perfect for one-plate meal or assorted antipasto platter.
You can make them when zucchini flowers are found easily that is in summer and at the beginning of fall.
You will need: very fresh zucchini blossoms (courgettes flowers), beans (canned or fresh), fresh aromatic herbs (chives and parsley), anchovy fillets in oil, capers in vinegar, quail eggs, stale bread, plain dried breadcrumbs, olive oil and salt.
Here's the recipe!
Soak the stale bread. Put the stale bread in a bowl and cover with cold water until soft.
Prepare the aromatic herbs. Clean and wash parsley and chives. Pat dry with absorbent kitchen paper to remove the excess of water. Put them aside.
Prepare the zucchini flowers. Cut the stems off. Remove the little leaves that surround the base of the flowers. Cut in half lenghtways and remove the yellow pistil inside. Plunge them in cold water but remember to make this step quickly: zucchini flowers are very delicate! Pat dry with absorbent kitchen paper with delicacy to remove the excess of water. Now cut them into strips. Put them aside.
Prepare the flan mixture. Put the zucchini flowers, anchovy fillets, capers, beans well drained, quail eggs, aromatic herbs, soaked bread well squeezed and a pinch of salt in a food processor and purée all the ingredients.
Trasfer the mixture in a bowl and add 3 tablespoons plain dried breadcrumbs. Stir accurately. The mixture must be neither too soft nor too thick. If it's too soft add other plain dried breadcrumbs.
Cook the flans. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
Prepare 4 round mini moulds: grease them with the olive oil and sprinkle with the remaining plain dried breadcrumbs.
Transfer the mixture into the moulds. Level the surface and bake for about 20-30 minutes. The cooking time depends on the oven and mould quality.
Remove the moulds from the oven, let them cool and then turn the flans upside down on a plate.
Serve them cold or warm.
- - Zucchini flowers (also called blossoms) are very delicate. You should buy them and cook at once.
- - If you find fresh beans you could prepare a tastier recipe. Buy 500 g (1lb and 1 1/2oz) fresh beans in the pod, shell and boil them until tender. Put them through a vegetable mill and make the mixture as described above but be careful: the doses of plain dried breadcrumbs and quail eggs might change!
- - Some of you may ask himself why quail eggs are used. The answer is very simple. 5 quail eggs are like a whole hen egg. In some recipes a whole hen egg is too much.
- - If you don't use anchovy fillets you have a perfect vegetarian recipe.
- - You can prepare these mini flans ahead and then warm up, if desired, just before serving.
- - Look at the photo above! It suggests how to combine these zucchini flower mini flans. A perfect one-plate meal or an assorted antipasto platter.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1