Zucchine in umido con mozzarella
Zucchini stew with mozzarella Our original home cooking
I have been known this zucchini recipe I'm teaching you since I was a child and helped my mother in cooking. My mother was used to make no elaborated dishes but we children liked her cuisine very much. She combined all traditions from North to South of Italy and the results were excellent! I'm waiting your opinion about this summer dish. Pair a white wine for a good meal! Other recipes for vegetables and pulses?
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 1kg (2.2 pounds) zucchini
- 500g (1.1 pounds) potatoes
- 400g (14 ounces) pureed tomatoes
- 125g (4.4 ounces) mozzarella cheese
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) red fresh young onion
- Some leaves fresh basil
- Sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Little bunch fresh chives
- 1 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 500 ml (1 pint - 2 cups) warm water
preparation: 15 minutes
cooking: 45 minutes
total: 60 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 263 (kcal) 14 % GDA (*)- 1102 (kJ)
Protein: 12.5 (g) 25 % GDA
Total fat: 12.6 (g) 18 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 27.0 (g) 10 % GDA
Sugars: 8.5 (g) 10 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (103 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Recipe for zucchini stew with mozzarella
- - Cut off the ends of zucchini, wash and pat dry with absorbent kitchen paper.
Divide them into quarters lengthwise.
Remove their seeds and cut into pieces.
- - Peel potatoes.
Wash and cut into pieces.
- - Chop onion.
Put it in a pan together with olive oil.
Let onion saute in olive oil over a low heat, stirring often.
- - Add pureed tomatoes.
Stir and add zucchini and potatoes too.
Stir very well.
Add water now.
Bring to a boil.
Lower the heat.
Season to taste with salt and continue cooking, half-covered, stirring now and then, until your vegetables are tender and cooking juice well reduced.
- - Meanwhile clean, wash and pat dry with absorbent kitchen paper all herbs.
I use to add them, as my mother taught me, a minute before turning off the stove.
I cut chives and parsley into very little pieces with scissors and chop basil with hands.
Just before serving
- - Just before serving, grate mozzarella cheese.
- - Warm zucchini mixture.
Stir in half mozzarella.
Spread the remaining mozzarella on top.
Turn off the stove, cover and wait until mozzarella melts.
- - The dose for water and cooking time depend on zucchini size, therefore be careful!
- - You can prepare this zucchini dish in the morning and serve it in the evening.
You can warm it up, it tastes fantastic alike.
But chill it if you have leftovers.
- - This zucchini stew is a great recipe for your family menu.
This doesn't mean that you can't find the right opportunity to enjoy it with your friends. For example, you can prepare an assorted starter composed by: an omelette with onions served in slices, a few tablespoons of warm Sicilian caponata, cubed cornmeal focaccia with cherry tomatoes and, obviously, zucchini with mozzarella. A great vegetarian appetizer that can match well with meat dishes you can serve after. I always prefer vegetarian appetizers to salami in summer.
- - Zucchini stew with potatoes and mozzarella cheese are a quite well-balanced dish that can be eaten safely in the evening. It remains "space" for some other little tidbit, but attention to your choices.
If you want to follow Mediterranean diet, no bread with potatoes!
- - If you don't use potatoes, nutrition per serving change. Here it is!
calories: 175 (733 kJ)
total fat: 11,5g
- - Fiber per serving: 6,2g
- - Zucchini are a valuable help in cooking because they have virtually no flavor and are enough neutral to be used with a lot of other ingredients.
Besides they also have a caloric intake that does not exist: only 11 calories per 100 g of edible product.
- - I give another useful tip to all people who love eating in a healthy way.
Avoid frying slightly onion in olive oil, your liver will thank you!
Just do it: stew the onion in a little water and then continue the recipe without changing anything else.
Pour in olive oil just before topping your zucchini with the last mozzarella when stove is off. In this way you can use the olive oil keeping intact all its wonderful properties
What's the right wine for " Zucchini stew with mozzarella "?
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1