Zuppa di verza e lenticchie
Savoy cabbage and lentil soup Traditional recipe
This soup is very tasty. Enjoy it with your family and guests. You'll need: savoy cabbage, lentils, bacon, leek, celery, dried porcino mushrooms (Boletus species), short pasta, grated seasoned cheese, aromatic herbs.
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 300g (10 1/2 ounces) savoy cabbage
- 200g (7 ounces) dried lentils, soaked overnight
- 50g (1 3/4 ounce) bacon, cut into little pieces
- 150g (5 1/3 ounces) leek
- 130g (4 1/2 ounces) carrots
- 40 g (1 1/2 ounces) celery stalk
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 20g (3/4 ounce) dried porcino mushrooms
- 200g (7 ounces) ditalini or other short pasta
- 40g (1 1/2 ounces) grated ewe's cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Pepper, if you like
preparation: 20 minutes
plus soaking time for lentils
cooking: 2 hours
tota: 2 hours 20 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 499 (kcal) 25 % GDA (*)- 2089 (kJ)
Protein: 25.8 (g) 52 % GDA
Total fat: 13.2 (g) 19 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 75.3 (g) 28 % GDA
Sugars: 8.7 (g) 10 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (145 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Savoy cabbage and lentil soup recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Put soaked lentils and bay leaf in a deep pan with 3 liters of cold water.
Cook until tender but remember lentils must finish their cooking with pasta.
Remove lentils with a skimming ladle and put aside.
Don't eliminate their cooking liquid.
- - Meanwhile ...
... soak dried mushrooms in warm water.
Clean savoy cabbage and cut it into thin strips.
Clean, wash and chop leek, carrots and celery.
Chop bacon too.
Eventually warm up cooking liquid of lentils.
- - Prepare your soup.
Fry slightly leek and bacon in olive oil for some minutes, stirring.
Add savoy cabbage, carrots and celery, stir and flavor for further few minutes.
Pour in cooking liquid of lentils but put apart some.
Continue cooking, about 40 minutes.
After 20 minutes add mushrooms too.
Keep the cooking liquid of lentils boiling; add a little if necessary.
Control if water in the soup is enough to cook pasta, season to taste with salt, add pasta and lentils.
Cook pasta al dente stage and add other cooking liquid of lentils if necessary.
Just before serving
- - Serve your soup warm or hot and sprinkled with cheese and pepper.
- - You can serve this soup with toasted slices of bread (in Italian crostini).
- - You can also use frozen mushrooms.
- - For a low-calorie and low-fat recipe I suggest not to use bacon.
Besides, you can add all ingredients (except oliv oil) together and so you can not fry slightly them. Add olive oil when your soup is cooked.
- - Generally, I use emmer pasta as you can see in the photo for it's rich in fiber.
- - This savoy cabbage and lentil soup is ideal for your family dinner or lunch in winter. It's tasty and healthy.
Complete your menu with fresh seasonal fruit.
Useful links for this recipe
- - You should be interested in more news about Boletus (porcino) mushrroms.
- - Nutrition facts of this cabbage and lentil soup is perfect for one-plate meal.
- - The combination lentil and pasta is very healthy and adding savoy cabbage enriches this dish in fiber.
- - Fiber per serving: 13.7 grams.
- - If you want a vegetarian dish, do not add bacon to your soup. In this case the calories are 457, proteins become 23.2 grams and total fat 9.6 grams.
What's the right wine for " Savoy cabbage and lentil soup "?
My husband and I have the habit to pair Alto Adige Lagrein (red wine from Trentino - Italy) to my cabbage and lentil soup but we rhing Merlot can be another right choice.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 2