Corn sauce - Crema de alote (Crema di mais)
time: 25 minutes
Ingredients / Serves 2
- 1 leek, finely sliced
- 1 stalk of celery, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon white flour
- 250 ml (8 fl oz - 1C) milk
- 1 150 g (5 1/2oz) can corn
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- preparation: 10 minutes
cooking: 15 minutes
total time: 25 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Total fat: (g)
Total carbohydrate: (g)
Download free PDF version (43 download).
It’s a typical sauce of the Mexican cuisine. It’s a basic sauce; you can eat this cream as a soup (warm or cold) or accompanied with raw vegetables or tortilla chips to open a meal (in this case the doses are enough for more people).
You can add othe vegetables too (artichokes, courgettes flowers ...)
We personalize the recipe; in fact we fry the leek and celery in the olive oil instead of in the butter (about 25 g - 1oz). Besides we blend all the ingredients but someone is used to remove leek and celery before.
Fry the leek and celery in the olive oil on a light flame; be careful not to brown them. Mix the flour to the vegetables and add gradually the hot milk stirring continuously. When the cream begins boiling switch off the gas. Season to taste with salt and pepper, if desidered. Add the corn, stir and blend all the ingredients.
Put some grains of corn aside to decorate if you want.
- - If you want to serve this cream warm, prepare it just before serving. On the contrary it can become too thick and you need to dilute it with some hot milk.