Involtini di prosciutto
Ham rolls with Russian salad and hard-boiled eggs Authentic Italian recipe
Looking for a quick and tasty cold dish in the hottest days of the year? What about ham rolls in which the only required cooking is boiling eggs and making jelly? Easy-to-do, quick-to-do but tasty recipe. Prepare it some hours before serving. Serve ham rolls as typical Italian antipasto, cold dish in everyday summer menu or in a meal, buffet style.
Ingredients / Serves 8
- 8 slices of boiled ham
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) frozen shrimps
- 1 400g (14 ounces) can assorted vegetables
- 1 160g (5.6 ounces) can tuna in oil
- Some tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1l (2.1 pints - 4 1/4 cups) aspic jelly
preparation: 20 minutes
plus cooling time
cooking: 10 minutes
total: 30 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 257 (kcal) 13 % GDA (*)- 1074 (kJ)
Protein: 15.6 (g) 32 % GDA
Total fat: 20.1 (g) 29 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 3.4 (g) 2 % GDA
Sugars: 0 (g)
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (182 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Ham roll recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare shrimps.
Thaw shrimps at room temperature.
Simmer them in hot water (not boiling) for 1 minute over a very, very low heat.
Drain them very well.
- - Meanwhile ...
... drain assorted vegetables very well from their preservation water, after rinsing them.
Let vegetables drain for almost an hour to avoid some water forms in the final dish.
Drain tuna in oil very well and crumble it with a fork.
Prepare aspic jelly following the directions on the package. Remember to aromatize it with the vinegar. Let it cool.
- - Assemble your dish.
Transfer assorted vegetables, tuna and shrimps in a bowl.
Pour in olive oil, season to taste with salt and add mayonnaise too. It's difficult to say what is the right quantity of mayonnaise: it depends on your taste. The ideal dose is enough to amalgamate all ingredients (some tablespoons).
Stir very well.
Spread every slice of boiled ham on the work surface.
Put a little of assorted vegetable and shrimp mixture on the end of the shorter side.
Roll up every slice tightly.
Arrange all rolls in a large bowl.
Garnish with hard-boiled eggs, cut into slices and quarters.
Cover with aspic jelly.
Just before serving
- - Chill until serving. You need several hours.
But remember to remove from the fridge 10 minutes before.
- - This is a do-ahead Italian starter.
- - The right vegetables to use is a combination of cubed potatoes, carrots and peas.
- - You can serve it as an appetizer in a full menu when you have guests or as a summer cold dish accompanied with boiled potatoes or seasonal salad for your family menu.
- - Nutritional facts are calculated for 8 servings that is you can read calories, fat and sugar for every roll. In other words, I calculated nutrition facts as if this dish were served as starter.
Keep in mind this when you decide to prepare this dish for your family menu.
What's the right wine for " Ham rolls with Russian salad and hard-boiled eggs "?
My husband and I generally pair a good white wine to ham rolls filled with Russian salad in jelly.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 2