Pesce in carpione
Soused fish or fried & marinated fish Authentic Italian recipe
Pesce in carpione, that is fried and marinated fish or soused fish, is a typical Italian starter. Typical of Mediterranean diet. If you're planning a seafood menu this may be a starter accompanied by other fish finger foods. It's a cold dish you can make in advance. A great advantage if you have a lot of guests.
Ingredients / Serves 8
- 400g (14 ounces) bleaks
- 1 stick of celery, sliced
- 2 fresh young onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried bay leaves
- 1 piece of cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 700ml (1 1/2 pint - 3 C) white vinegar
- All-purpose flour
- Peanut oil for frying
- Pepper, if you like
preparation: 30 minutes
plus marinating time
cooking: 30 minutes
total: 1 h
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 71 (kcal) 4 % GDA (*)- 299 (kJ)
Protein: 8.0 (g) 16 % GDA
Total fat: 3.7 (g) 6 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 1.6 (g) 1 % GDA
Sugars: 1.6 (g) 2 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (139 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Fried and marinated fish recipe or fish carpione recipe
Preparation and cooking
- - Begin frying fish.
Wash fish and drain it very well.
Dip into all-purpose flour and remove the excess of it using a sieve.
Meanwhile put abundant peanut oil in a non-stick frying pan and turn on the stove.
When oil is hot, add fish, little at a time, and brown it.
Remove fish from the boiling oil with a skimming ladle and put on absorbent kitchen paper to remove the excess of fat.
Season to taste with salt.
- - Prepare marinate.
Meanwhile put olive oil in a pan together with onion, garlic and celery.
Let all ingredients fry slightly for few minutes.
At this point remove garlic clove, season to taste with salt and pepper and pour in vinegar and all aromatic herbs except cinnamon.
Let the mixture simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- - The last step.
Arrange fried fish in a large bowl or in a big soup plate and cover them completely with the marinate, still hot.
Add cinnamon too, stir gently and accurately and chill for at least 24 hours.
The best thing would be 48 hours.
Just before serving
- - Remove your marinated fish from refrigerator and bring to room temperature before serving.
- - You can preserve this dish for some days in the refrigerator.
- - I prefer bleaks because they are very little but you can choose the river or sea fish you prefer.
- - I don’t use garlic and substitute it with 2 tablespoons dried chives (added together with the other aromatic herbs).
- - This is an appetizing dish but it’s strongly aromatized and you can choose the other courses very accurately: on the contrary other dishes could be tasteless :)) Combine fish or vegetable dishes with them.
- - It's very difficult to have the real amount of frying oil and flour used for frying fish.
So nutrition facts don't include these ingredients. If you want to include these ingredients, you have to add 100 to 150 calories per 100 grams of fried fish.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1