Fave e Pecorino
Pecorino cheese and fava beans Traditional recipe of Rome
Fava beans and Pecorino cheese is one of the most known spring appetizers in the centre of Italy. In particular Romans have the habit to eat this dish in April and May when fava beans are in season. No cooking recipe!
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 1kg (2.2 pounds) fava beans in the pod
- 200g (7 ounces) Pecorino cheese
preparation: 20 minutes
total: 20 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 231 (kcal) 12 % GDA (*)- 967 (kJ)
Protein: 16.4 (g) 33 % GDA
Total fat: 16.8 (g) 25 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 3.8 (g) 2 % GDA
Sugars: 2.3 (g) 3 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (132 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
The only ingredients you'll need to prepare this appetizer, as you've just read, are fava beans and pecorino.
But think of it: if you have an organic garden you can grow fava beans easily and pick them when still young and tender. You can make a delicious dish only buying a piece of Pecorino cheese or another seasoned cheese.
In Italy we tell "da leccarsi i baffi" (to lick our lips) when a dish is very tasty. That's yummy!
Here I show you the simplest way to prepare fava beans and Pecorino cheese. Look at the video for more details and ... pardon for my English, please ;))))
Fava bean and pecorino cheese recipe
- - Clean and prepare fava beans.
- - You have to choose fresh, young fava beans in the pod.
Besides they must be firm and filled out along the entire length.
For the youngest beans (so you needn't the second peeling) choose the pods with the smallest bumps.
- - Peel the pods and put apart the individual beans.
- - Prepare the pecorino cheese.
Remove the peel from the cheese and cut it into bite-sized morsels.
Put them apart.
Just before serving
- - Prepare the dish.
- - Put the individual beans and cheese pieces on the same plate.
Your dish of pecorino and fava beans is ready!
- - For the best result you have to choose good ingredients. Remember there are a lot of kinds of Pecorino cheese. Pecorino of Tuscany, Sicily, Sardinia and Rome. You can find some website to buy them via Internet in the next paragraph.
- - Look at the video for menu planning ideas.
Useful links for this recipe
- - You can buy good-quality Italian Pecorino on these websites: Academia Barilla (you can find organic Pecorino of Sardinia), Mandi Foods if you prefer Pecorino of Rome, or igourmet.com
- - Want to know other ways to serve raw fava beans?
What's the right wine for " Pecorino cheese and fava beans "?
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1