Spiedini sulla pagnotta
Assorted skewers on the round loaf Our original home cooking
Assorted skewers made with salami, prawns and fruits are very tasty finger food you can serve to start an alfresco dinner or a get-together with your friends or a celebration menu. What about for an aperitif, Italian-style? The ideal month to prepare these appetizers is September when you can find fragrant and ripe melon and figs easily.
Ingredients / Serves 12
- 4 Kiwi fruits
- Half a melon
- 6 green figs
- 400g (14 ounces) fresh prawns or 200g (7 ounces) precooked frozen prawns
- 150g (5 1/3 ounces) "prosciutto crudo" (ham), thinly sliced
- 200g (7 ounces) salami, in a piece
- 1 round loaf
- 50 skewers
preparation: 50 minutes
cooking: 10 minutes
total: 1 hour
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 147 (kcal) 8 % GDA (*)- 617 (kJ)
Protein: 9.7 (g) 13 % GDA
Total fat: 7.9 (g) 12 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 10.0 (g) 4 % GDA
Sugars: 10.0 (g) 12 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (108 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Appetizers on the skewers How-To
Preparation and cooking
- - Cut salami in big dices.
- - Cut every prosciutto slices in 2 to 3 parts.
- - Prepare the prawns.
Boil the prawns in salted water until shells turn pink (1 to 3 minutes) or grill (10 minutes).
Once cold, twist and pull the prawn head from the body, peel away the shell from the body and, using a sharp knife, slit the back along the entire curve to remove the intestinal vein.
Pull out the black thread with a knife or the fingers from every prawn.
If you have little time, buy precooked frozen prawns; boil them for 1 minute, let them get cool and then peel away the shell from the body.
Just before serving
- - Fruit must be cut just a little before serving.
- - Alternate the ingredients on the skewers in the following ways:
figs with salami,
melon with prosciutto,
prawns with kiwi fruits.
- - You'll have three kinds of appetizers!
- - Insert your skewers on the loaf.
- - Your assorted appetizer dish is ready!
- - These appetizers should be prepared just before serving in order to avoid the fruit lose its freshness.
- - Don't buy fruit too ripe.
It is difficult, in this case, to put pieces on the skewers without breaking them.
See our picture for the right size of the pieces.
- - You can save time, however, by preparing some of the ingredients in advance.
For example the round loaf can be scooped, if you decide to use it in this way.
Salami and prosciutto can be cut some hours ahead and chilled till final preparation.
- - The round loaf can be placed on a round dish or on a wood tray.
- - Serve these skewers with assorted salami, prawns and fruits as snacks in these cases
- - With an aperitif in a rustic menu (BBQ menu, cold dinner, buffet)
- - In a ceremony menu where snacks can be served outdoors, before the seated menu, accompanied by jugs of fruit cocktails or a glass of fragrant and fresh wine as aperitif
- - The round loaf isn't included in the nutrition facts.
What's the right cocktail?
Pair to these finger food " Italian Prosecco" or a cocktail based on sparkling wine (not brut) and grapefruit. But you can also serve a glass of the wine matched to the other courses of your meal.
Rating: 3.3 / vote cast: 6