Pizza alla Catanese
Filled savoury pie, Catania style Authentic Italian recipes
Traditional Sicilian recipe. Excellent as a main dish. If necessary, accompany it with a green salad. It can be a good solution when you have veal leftovers, cooked the previous day. Be careful with calories and fat.
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 500g (1.1 pound) ready-to bake bread dough
- 4 (400g - 14 ounces) veal slices, already cooked
- 4 (200g - 7 ounces) "toma" cheese slices or another cheese
- 4 anchovies in salt
- 50g (1 3/4 ounces) black olives, stoned
- 1 onion
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
preparation: 35 minutes
cooking: 40 minutes
total: 1 h 15 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 895 (kcal) 45 % GDA (*)- 3745 (kJ)
Protein: 63.1 (g) 127 % GDA
Total fat: 40.8 (g) 59 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 73.3 (g) 28 % GDA
Sugars: 5.2 (g) 6 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (145 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Recipe for pizza filled with cheese and meat
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare anchovies.
Wash anchovies under running water in order to remove salt.
Take off their head and backbone; cut them into little pieces.
- - Meanwhile peel, wash and chop onion.
Simmer it in a frying pan with 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil without allowing it to color.
- - While onion is growing cool, cut veal and cheese slices into large strips.
- - Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- - Divide bread dough into 2 pieces. One must be bigger.
Roll out the biggest piece on a floured work surface and line bottom and sides of a round ovenproof dish, after oiling it with 2 teasppons olive oil.
Prick it with a fork and arrange anchovies, cheese, meat, stoned olives and onion.
Roll out remaining bread dough and cover pizza.
Seal pizza at its edges and prick its top.
Oil pizza top with remaining olive oil.
- - Bake in the oven until its surface is colored, about 30 minutes.
Just before serving
- - Serve your stuffed pizza warm.
- - I always make a lighter version compared to original recipe.
When I want to prepare this dish, I cook veal slices in a pan in which I add 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, 4 anchovy fillets in oil, 1 tablespoon dried chives, 1 tablespoon chopped parsley (even frozen) and 100ml (4 fl oz - 1/2 C) white dry wine. I cook until thickened. So I do not use anchovies in salt and gain the time necessary for removing salt. Besides the slices of veal have a very good taste.
I do not use onion, fried slightly in olive oil. I replace it with 2 tablespoons dried chives.
I use cubed mozzarella (a moist Neapolitan card cheese) instead of "tuma". This is a solution for people that do not like cheese and eat only this type of cheese. In this way my dish needs a shorter preparation time (only 20 minutes) and it's lighter.
- - Pizza, Catanese style is a one-plate dish for your family menu. Accompany it with a seasonal green salad.
But be careful with calories and fat. It's a high-calorie, high fat recipe. Do not make it frequently!
Useful links for this recipe
- - Do you want the recipe for bread dough?
- - Nutrition facts were calculated according to the traditional recipe.
What's the right wine for " Filled savoury pie, Catania style "?
Match Regaleali bianco (wine from Sicily - Italy) to this deep pizza stuffed with meat and cheese.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1