Tortino di castagne e cavolo verza
Chestnut and savoy cabbage pie Our home cooking recipes
This chestnut and savoy cabbage is an unusual savory pie but it tastes fantastic if you like its two main ingredients: chestnuts and savoy cabbage. A similar soup has been always made in the North of Italy (Sondrio - Lombardy) by people who could not buy meat. Chestnuts were a poor food but rich in proteins and energy so they replaced meat very well. Now they are not so unexpensive! I created this savory pie according to the most authentic traditions of our Italian cuisine.!
Ingredients / Serves 8
- 200g (7 ounces) steamed chestnuts, peeled
- 800g (1 3/4 pound) savoy cabbage
- 50g (1 3/ 4 ounce) young fresh onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons plain dried breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
preparation: 15 minutes
plus cooling time
cooking: about 50 minutes
total: 1 hour 5 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 107 (kcal) 6 % GDA (*)- 447 (kJ)
Protein: 4.6 (g) 10 % GDA
Total fat: 4.2 (g) 7 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 14.6 (g) 6 % GDA
Sugars: 4.7 (g) 6 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (134 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Recipe for chestnut and savoy cabbage savory pie
Preparation and cooking
- - Prepare savoy cabbage.
Remove all outer leaves of the savoy cabbage if necessary.
Half it and plunge the two halves in cold water.
Change water twice or three times.
Then steam it until tender.
I prefer to steam savoy cabbage and not boil so its leaves don't absorb too much water.
Let savoy cabbage cool and then cut it into thin strips.
- - Meanwhile ...
... purée chestnuts or crash them with a fork.
- - Prepare chestnut and savoy cabbage mixture.
Saute onion in olive oil in a non-stick frying pan, stirring frequently.
Add savoy cabbage, chestnuts, tomato paste and season to taste with salt.
Let all ingredients flavor on medium heat until cooking juice is well reduced.
- - Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- - Assemble your pie.
Beat eggs with a pinch of salt and add to your mixture of chestnuts and savoy cabbage.
Stir very well.
Spoon all mixture in a silicone pan (diameter - 22 cm/ 10in).
Level surface and sprinkle with plain dried breadcrumbs.
Bake until its surface is golden, 25 to 30 minutes.
Just before serving
- - Let it rest for few minutes and turn it upside down on a serving plate.
Slice and serve immediately.
- - For this recipe I use steamed chestnuts commercially available in convenient bags of 200g (7 ounces) but you can also use the same amount of frozen chestnuts.
- - Serve it with the accompaniment of salami slices as a starter of your meal.
- - You can also serve it as one-plate meal with the accompaniment of seasonal green salad for your family menu. In this last case the doses serve 2 to 4 people according the other courses of the meal.
- - I would like to point out the low caloric impact of this vegetarian pie. Great example of Italian cucina povera (poor cuisine) in every aspect. But be careful to increase the portion too much!
- - Fiber per serving: 4.4 grams
What's the right wine for " Chestnut and savoy cabbage pie "?
A young red wine such as Bonarda (from Piedmont-Italy), Nero d'Avola (from Sicily-Italy) or Chianti (from Tuscany) is a good pairing for this savory pie with chestnuts and savoy cabbage.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1