Sfogliata al cavolo nero
Savory tart with kale Our original home cooking
This savory tart with kale is a pie in which the shell is made with puff pastry and the filling has as main ingredients kale and chestnuts. Autumn and winter recipe for your meals, buffet style or to prepare assorted appetizers for full menus. And if you love kale, it becomes an excellent vegetarian dinner.
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 230g (8 ounces) puff pastry
- 1,2kg (2 2/3 pounds) kale
- 1 400g (14 ounces) can cereals & pulses, well drained
- 20 chestnuts, boiled and peeled
- 300g (10 1/2 ounces) puréed tomatoes
- 60g (2.1 ounces) spring onions
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- 100ml (3 1/3 fluid ounces) dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
preparation: 40 minutes
plus cooling time
cooking: 45 minutes
total: 1 hour 25 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 521 (kcal) 27 % GDA (*)- 2180 (kJ)
Protein: 16.9 (g) 34 % GDA
Total fat: 19.8 (g) 29 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 71.2 (g) 27 % GDA
Sugars: 7.6 (g) 9 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (64 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Recipe for savory tart with kale
- - Prepare kale.
Clean and wash kale.
Boil it in salted boiling water.
Drain it very well and let it cool.
Then put kale in a bowl and cut into pieces with a knife.
- - Prepare tart filling.
Place puréed tomatoes, onions, aromatic herbs, wine, leaf cabbage and chestnuts in a pan.
Cook on moderate heat, stirring now and then, until the mixture is well reduced, 15-20 minutes.
In the last minutes add also pulses & cereals.
Turn off the stove, season to taste with salt and pour in 2 tablespoons olive oil; stir accurately.
- - Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- - The last step.
Grease a round baking pan with remaining olive oil.
Arrange puff pastry on the pan and spoon your vegetable mixture on puff pastry.
Turn down exciding pastry as you can see in the photo.
Bake until the surface is golden.
Just before serving
- - Serve this savory tart warm, sliced.
- - You can use turnip tops instead of kale.
- - You can also use frozen chestnuts.
- - If you do not find cans of pulses & cereals, you can use boiled corn and assorted pulses, equally.
- - Generally, I use ready-to-bake puff-pastry made with no butter and eggs; it is made with vegetable fat.
In other cases I make salt shortcrust pastry that is ideal when I have to cut my tart into perfect slices. Link below.
- - This savory tart is perfect to accompany salami or fish carpaccio in your Italian assorted antipasto platters.
- - Savory tart with kale and chestnuts can be served in a meal, buffet-style or in your drunch menus in winter and fall.
- - If you are kale lovers, you can make it for your family dinner.
Useful links for this recipe
- - As promised, here's the recipe for salt shortcrust pastry.
- - This savory tart with kale is very rich in ingredients and so it is rich in calories and fat too. So you should not do it often for your family menu :))
- - Fiber per serving: 11.7 grams.
What's the right wine for " Savory tart with kale "?
Pair a young red wine to this savory tart with kale.
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 2