Agnello al limone
Lamb in lemon sauce Authentic recipe of Sardinia
Lamb in lemon sauce is a typical recipe we tasted during a trip in Sardinia. The combination of lemon juice, milk and egg with lamb tastes so fantastic according to us ... It is worth to test this lemon-flavored lamb and learn how to prepare it very well to impress your family and friends with an unusual lamb recipe! Spring and summer dish.
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 1 800g (1 3/4 pound) leg of lamb
- 300ml (10 fluid ounces - 1 1/4 cup) low fat milk
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 little lemon
- 50g (1 3/4 ounce - 1/3 cup) semolina
- 1 tablespoon fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Pinch of saffron
- 2 tablespoons + 1/2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper or chilly (if liked)
preparation: 15 minutes
cooking: 45 minutes
total: about 1 h 10 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 370 (kcal) 19 % GDA (*)- 1550 (kJ)
Protein: 39.8 (g) 80 % GDA
Total fat: 18.0 (g) 26 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 13.1 (g) 5 % GDA
Sugars: 3.8 (g) 5 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (116 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Lamb in lemon sauce recipe
- - Pour olive oil into a large saucepan.
- - Remove visible fat from lamb leg.
- - Bone lamb leg obtaining pieces not too big and transfer them directly into your pan.
- - Warm up the milk.
- - Brown lamb pieces on all sides on medium heat for few minutes.
Use kitchen clamp not to prick the meat.
- - Pour in warm milk and season to taste with salt.
- - Reduce heat and continue cooking for about 40 minutes or until your lamb is tender.
Don't completely reduce the cooking juice.
- - Turn off the stove, remove lamb pieces with a skimming ladle and keep them warm.
Just before serving
- - Beat eggs with lemon juice, a pinch of salt, parsley and pepper (if liked).
- - Pour beaten eggs into the pan together with saffron and semolina.
- - Stir constantly with a whisk, over a very low heat, until your sauce thickens.
- - Spoon this lemon sauce on the top of lamb pieces and serve immediately.
- - The most delicate step is making the sauce. Be careful: the flame must be very low and you can't overcook.
- - You can cook lamb some hours ahead (even the day before) and make last step just before serving.
- - If you find saffron stamens use a Tbsp of them, chopped.
- - Cook the right quantity of lamb. You can' t warm this dish the day after.
- - You have to combine this dish with other courses carefully for the presence of lemon sauce. I suggest to serve focaccia with fava beans (cut into pieces) as starter and cavatelli with rucola and olives as first course (a very tasty pasta dish). Then lamb in lemon sauce. Complete with a dessert. It's a typical Italian menu, really! The links to all recipe in the next paragraph.
Useful links for this recipe
- - Here are the links to the suggeste recipes above: focaccia with fava beans (starter) and cavatelli with rocket and olives (first course).
Consult our dessert directory to look for your Italian favorite cake or dessert.
- - Interested in more details on lamb? follow the link.
- - Lemon-flavored lamb has a lot of ingredients source of protein: lamb, egg and milk. So it's very rich in protein. Besides you have to remove the visible fat very well not to increase tha fat amount. Another reccomendation: don't use more olive oil for the same reason! If you follow our doses and recipe directions strictly you can contain the fat.
For all these reasons I suggest to choose this recipe for a great occasion. Daily recipes should be simplier but tasty. Remember my words!
Eat lamb in lemon sauce rarely but everyone of us shouldn't eat meat frequently as the nutritionists suggest.
Anyway if you decide to make it for your family remember:
- most of the foods, main source of protein, should be eaten at dinner and the calories eaten at dinner should be 500 - 600
- plan the remaining meals on vegetables, fruit and total carbohydrates that are very low in this dish.
For lunch prefer a tasty vegetarian pasta dish and fruit. It could be perfect a rice dish too!
And what's for dinner together with this Italian lamb recipes dish? a lot of raw seasonal vegetables or green salads with a portion of bread (50g - 1 3/4 ounce) to accompany it. Another tip: a tasty vegetable soup for your hungry family!
- - This lamb dish has only 0.5 grams of fiber.
What's the right wine for " Lamb in lemon sauce "?
Our suggestion is to match a good red wine to this lamb dish such as Piedirosso (red wine of Campania).
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 3