Coniglio in umido con peperoni
Rabbit stew with bell peppers Our original home cooking
This rabbit stew with peppers is a good main dish that you'll really like. It has an advantage: to have a few calories and fat as main dish. You can prepare it in advance, for example in the morning for the evening. Comfortable in summer, when at a certain time it's too hot to cook. This is the recipe I have ben cooking since I was a child. My husband and I like it for its simplicity. It is a perfect example of Mediterranean diet recipe.
Ingredients / Serves 4
- 1 1000g (2.2 pounds) rabbit, cut into little portions
- 400g (14 ounces) red sweet peppers
- 400g (14 ounces) yellow sweet peppers
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) little young onions
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 400g (14 ounces) puréed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 glass of white wine
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
preparation: 20 minutes
cooking: 60 minutes
total: 1 h 20 minutes
- How many calories in a serving?
Calories: 344 (kcal) 18 % GDA (*)- 1441 (kJ)
Protein: 38.7 (g) 78 % GDA
Total fat: 15.9 (g) 23 % GDA
Total carbohydrate: 12.7 (g) 5 % GDA
Sugars: 12.6 (g) 14 % GDA
Look at infographic of nutrition facts
Download free PDF version (121 download).
or use QRCode with your smartphone
Recipe for rabbit stew with peppers
Preparation and cooking
- - Wash your rabbit pieces under cold running water and pat dry with absorbent kitchen paper.
- - Chop onion finely.
- - Clean, wash and pat dry peppers with absorbent kitchen paper.
Then cut them into strips.
- - Put olive oil, bay leaf, onion and rabbit in a large pan and fry on medium heat, stirring frequently.
- - Pour in wine and let it evaporate partially, stirring now and then.
- - Add pureed tomatoes, tomato paste, marjoram and sweet peppers too.
Add a ladle of boiling water or vegetable broth if preferred.
Season to taste with salt and cook over a gentle flame, half-covered until meat and peppers are tender.
Add other water ot broth only if necessary.
- - Just before turning off the stove add parsley and chives.
Just before serving
- - Serve your rabbit stew hot or warm.
- - I suggest you to prepare your rabbit stew some hours ahead before serving to let all its ingredients flavor.
It's tastier in this way.
- - Mix red, yellow and green peppers, if lked.
- - Rabbit stew with peppers is very simple, suitable for your daily menu.
- - This dish is typical of summer and early autumn when bell peppers are in season.
In winter you can do it only if you have frozen peppers. Do not buy fresh peppers in winter, the're tasteless. Vegetables should be eaten in their season ;)
- - I don't think this rabbit with peppers can be suitable for a full menu in your special events. There are a lot of reasons.
This recipe is already a main course.
Every menu would immediately become too heavy anything you want to combine.
Then remember we are in summer. Usually you eat less, don't you?
- - While fat and calories of this dish with rabbit are acceptable, its proteins are high. The explanation lies in the amount of meat, the primary source of protein, which in this case is overabundant compared to the recommended portions.
- - So to balance the protein daily intake it would be good to think of pasta or rice for lunch to be served topped with vegetable sauces.
- - Complete your dinner based on this stewed rabbit with a portion of bread (50g - 1 3/4 ounce) and fresh fruit.
- - Fiber per serving: 5.1 grams
What's the right wine for " Rabbit stew with bell peppers "?
Our suggestion is a red wine, young and fruity such as Schiava Alto Adige DOC (Italian wine of Trentino - Alto Adige)
Rating: 5 / vote cast: 1